Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Taekwondo politics Reply with quote

I was unsure whether this fit best in Politics or Korean Martial Arts but ultimately decided it might be better placed here as it is solely about Taekwondo.

For anyone interested in Taekwondo politics, this might be an interesting read:

https://www.nst.com.my/world/2017/09/282723/blown-apart-divided-world-taekwondo

Whilst I think most people realise that we have WT (formerly WTF) Taekwondo and ITF Taekwondo, along with many off shoots, I don't think people realise that there are in fact 3 ITF groups all claiming to be the real-ITF.

Though they all come from the same place, they are starting to diverge in technique. This is mostly seen at Continental and World Championships where subtle rule changes has meant that each ITF now has its own particular flavour to the techniques and are subtly moving apart. Do you think we'll ever see a united Taekwondo?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't. The crux of the matter here is:
\I can go on... People tend to find elitism in whatever it is they do. People, in general are proud of their heritage. Martial arts are just another "thing" people will identify with.

"My martial art is the best martial art"

"My religion is the right religion"

"My country is the best country"

"My heavy metal is the best heavy metal"

Ultimately, I feel we should all get along, regardless of race, creed, faith or whatever it is we practice (martial art, or not.) Unfortunately, that'll never happen.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that power is best diffused. Rather than having 1 big powerful entity over every aspect of a single thing, people are better off going about their business of their own free will.

If the organization I am a member of and I have a disagreement, then I should be free to leave and do things how I want. Whether that is in a religion, hobby, or business, it is how the world grows. Market competition makes everyone better off.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you think we'll ever see a united Taekwondo?

NO!!

Not as long as human beings are involved!!

This both saddens and angers me all at the same time. Why? The poor TKD student is really not left any plausible recourse.

As a TKD practitioner, this must be quite disheartening because the poor TKD student is caught in the cross-hairs of the governing body, no matter which governing body it might be, in that the long TKD student must pick sides, or be cast away.

Their rules. Their regulations. Their organization. Their toys. Play along or go away!!

Politics taint everything.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bob. I think things have gotten so far afield that unification is just a pipe dream that gets talked about now and then with no real plans at doing anything.

It would involve too much compromise on one side or the other, and I don't think either side would give that much.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I agree with Bob. I think things have gotten so far afield that unification is just a pipe dream that gets talked about now and then with no real plans at doing anything.

It would involve too much compromise on one side or the other, and I don't think either side would give that much.

Yes. They all probably truly do want unification, so long as the others are going to do things their way

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Yes. They all probably truly do want unification, so long as the others are going to do things their way

Yeah, if you look into the history of TKD, specifically, it pretty much started out fragmented.

I'm happy with the style I'm learning, and if/when I visit other schools, I'll be happy to learn what they're willing to teach me. Maybe hoping that others have that mindset is all we can do with that art.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone wants to be The Boss, and not everyone wants to be the Grunt. Too many Chefs, not enough cooks. Same thing with MA governing bodies!! Everyone wants to be in charge, but it everyone wants to be in charge, then who's going to do the following of the one in charge??

MA governing bodies seem to be along the lines of "One on every corner", but WHY?? It doesn't have to be so!!

MAist, to me in this regard, seem to act like a bunch of spoiled kindergartener's [sp] because they can't have their way.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Taekwondo politics Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
I was unsure whether this fit best in Politics or Korean Martial Arts but ultimately decided it might be better placed here as it is solely about Taekwondo.

For anyone interested in Taekwondo politics, this might be an interesting read:

https://www.nst.com.my/world/2017/09/282723/blown-apart-divided-world-taekwondo

Whilst I think most people realise that we have WT (formerly WTF) Taekwondo and ITF Taekwondo, along with many off shoots, I don't think people realise that there are in fact 3 ITF groups all claiming to be the real-ITF.

Though they all come from the same place, they are starting to diverge in technique. This is mostly seen at Continental and World Championships where subtle rule changes has meant that each ITF now has its own particular flavour to the techniques and are subtly moving apart. Do you think we'll ever see a united Taekwondo?

Why would we see a unified TaekwonDo when Karate, Kung Fu, Hapkido etc are all split?
The rules are slightly different between the ITFs but they are by and large the same organisations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: