Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

USCMAAI
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Combat Karate, Kenpo,Jujitsu, and Boxing

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Teach Safety as well as Self-defense Reply with quote

In general it is a good idea to avoid conflict of any kind if it is possible. We as civilized people should treat one another with courtesy and respect. The problem is that there have always been people who for whatever reasons (economic, mental derangement, political, or religious) have a desire to hurt you or your family. Over the last couple of years many of us have been concerned about some terrorist coming to our shores (no matter if we live in the USA, Britain, Japan or any other western country) and wrecking havoc. Well recent events (school shootings in Virgina, Wisconsin, Colorado, and Pennsylvania) have reminded us (especially people in the USA), that sometimes a terrorist are home grown!

In this time where people are scrambling to find ways to protect our youth, a lot of time, money and resources will be spent on things like: cameras, arming guards, securing entryways to buildings, etc. What we as martial arts instructors can do to help is teach our student’s safety as well as self-defense. What I mean by this is along with self-defense techniques, we should be teaching our students about things like environmental factors, and escape /evasion techniques. Environmental factors such as environmental awareness teach students how to pay attention to what is going on around them. Not only who is in their immediate are, but also what is those people are doing and their demeanors. Along with learning to identify what items and conditions can be used to give them tactical advantages or disadvantages in a given area. Escape and evasion is teaching a student how to use that environmental knowledge they have gained to help them escape a dangerous situation (i.e. some nut shooting up his/her school/ classroom). Teaching things like the difference between cover and concealment, and the appropriate use for both is something that a combat martial arts instructor could do for his/her student. Teaching things like the proper way to keep your silhouette low while exiting a room, and low crawling could be useful skills. When teaching self-defense classes you should cover safety as it relates to the common areas which people are most likely to encounter a threat. Those areas are: in your home, in your car, on the street, in public buildings, and in parking lots. Each of these areas presents peculiar problems, which should be covered. I will attempt to give you some of the things that I would cover on each of these areas.

HOME:

When you move into a new home, have the locks changed (I would ask for a chain lock and peephole) I recommend this even if you are moving into an apartment. You can ask the landlord or building supervisor to do this and most will.

Always keep your doors and windows locked.

Install window blocks on all (especially ground floor) windows. These limit the degree to which a window can be opened, usually about 6-8”.

Install and use door / window alarms and light timers (these can be purchased relatively inexpensively and provide an extra layer of protection).

Keep window shades pulled down after dark

Keep the area around your home well lighted and free from hiding places.

Always ask for a strangers credentials before answering a door (most cable, phone and utility companies provide photo id’s to employees), then call and verify.

Always have your door keys in your hand as you approach your home.

Try to learn the lay of your home in the dark. This will give you a great tactical advantage!

Remember you if you call 911 and don’t respond to the operator, the police will automatically be sent to your home. That means you can call 911 and leave the phone on the floor if that is all the time you have.

When in doubt about your safety, get out of the house and call the police.

On the street

Avoid walking on dark streets or alleys.

Never hitchhike or take a ride from a stranger.

When walking, stay near the curb and away from alley and doorways.

Keep an eye on cars parked along the side of the road (especially vehicles like mini and conversion vans).

If walking, try to walk with another person (the chance that you will be assaulted drops by 40-50% when you are with another person, the more people the less likely you will be assaulted).

If you carry a purse, put the strap over your shoulder, with the flap toward your body.

When walking, carry pepper spray (10% Oliumcapsum is professional grade) in your hand, and be ready to use it.

Carry a cellular phone, and have 911 dialed up and ready to send.

If you are walking and feel threatened, make use of your environment (don’t be afraid to walk up to the home of someone you don’t know and ask them to call the police, or into a business and ask for assistance).

Remember if all else fails scream and then run like hell (a good run is better than a bad stand)!

In your car

Always keep your car locked.

Always lock yourself in your car.

Always look under and around your car as you approach it.

Always look in your car before getting in it, once in immediately lock your door.

Have your keys in your hand as you approach your car.

Carry your keys as if they are weapons.

If alone don’t stop to assist disabled motorist, call police so that they may provide assistance.

If traveling to an unknown area, have detailed directions and follow them.

Do not leave your purse or valuable items where they are visible in your car.

Carry a cellular phone, and have 911 dialed up and ready to send.

Avoid driving on dark streets.

Keep your car in gear when stopped for a light.

If bothered while in your car, honk your horn and don’t stop until you can get away.

If someone tries to carjack you or block your way, remember your car is a weapon.

If you think another car is following you, do not drive home. Go to a public place (convenience store, fire department, etc) and call the police.

Never pick up hitchhikers

Keep at least ½ tank of gas in your car, and check your tires often.

Avoid parking in dark secluded places.

It is a good idea to keep some type of item in your car that can be used as a weapon. My sisters both have pepper spray velcroed to their steering columns.

Public Buildings

Before entering a public building visually survey the area, looking at people who may be acting unusually, identifying exits, and locating possible cover. Many people who are shot during convenience store robberies are people who walk in on the perp while he is robbing the place.

After entering a building survey the area again, checking out the people again, verifying exits and possible cover.

Try to stay close to an exit if possible.

In places like theaters, try to sit in an aisle seat, and never sit in the front of the theater.

In restaurants try to sit near either an exit or the kitchen (there is an exit in the kitchen).

Be aware of packages that are left unattended in public areas (get away and then call them to the attention of someone in charge).

When in public do not get so engrossed in your business or pleasure that you forget to pay attention to what is going on around you.

Identify what environmental objects that can be used to help you in your defense/escape (a eating utensil or hot coffee/soup can be used as a weapon or at least a distraction).

If you can get out of a hostage situation, get out! You can provide valuable information to the police on the scene. But if you do try to leave, you must be committed to getting out and move without hesitation. A half-hearted attempt will increase your danger!

If you try to stop an attacker who is armed, you must be committed as well. You are probably going to be injured in some way, and must continue to fight until your attacker is neutralized. If you don’t you are probably going to be severely injured or killed.

Parking Lots

Avoid parking in lots that are not attended or well lighted at night.

It is always a good idea to drive around a parking lot once at night, before parking.

After parking, survey the immediate area around your car before unlocking your car and getting out.

Always look under and around your car as you approach it.

Always look in your car before getting in it, once in immediately lock your door.

Have your keys in your hand as you approach your car. (It is really a bad idea to be digging in your purse or coat for your keys while walking to your car, or at your car!)

Carry your keys as if they are weapons (even if you are leaving your car to go into your home, office or the store).

These are only some of the points I cover in self-defense classes. There are more things that I would do, such as teaching kids and women how to defend in groups. We as instructors often teach how to deal with multiple attackers, but should also teach how to defend as a team.

As you can guess, I feel that self-defense and safety training should go hand in hand. Like I tell my students “If you are alert and aware of your surroundings, you probably won’t need to use your self-defense techniques.” Instructors should give some thought to what they are or are not teaching in self-defense classes. Your students will thank you for the training!

K.Mabon
United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Situational awareness is crucial to self defense. It gives you that much more time to act. It saved me one time when someone tried to grab and dash. I am really surprised more places don't teach this stuff, because little changes can make the difference from being an attractive target to being someone who is too much trouble to deal with.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, lordtariel. This is very useful information, and the nice thing is that most of it is very common-sense stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: