Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

renketsu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My association has never done written or verbal tests at the gradings but a test of knowledge is done over the whole grading period (the time between your last grading and the next one - years for dan grades). This is only done for kyu grades to see if they are listening and progressing but for Dan gradings it carries more weight as knowledge is very important to go with physical ability.

I am considering introducing written tests to my senior students (4th-1st kyu) for forthcoming gradings and was wondering what students who have taken tests at this level think of them and their relevancy. Also are they multiple choice or written answers and are there different tests for different ages at the same grade?

Andy.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't exactly the same thing, but it was interesting to me.

After the first night of my Black Belt testing was over, I was sitting down in the parents' area, with my feet up on the waist-level divider. My instructor came up and started talking to me (pretty much asking me why my kata portion looked so bad). Then, he swiped away these two crayons that some kid had left on the divider. He's like: "what color are these crayons in my hand?"
I said "pink and white", correctly. He was shocked.
It may sound pretty dumb (that's because it is!), but it made me feel better. Even though I didn't do as well as I could have during testing, I got the crayons right. I felt like an alert and aware ninja

It all ended well: the rest of my testing was good and I passed on Saturday
But, strange as it may sound, whenever I remember my testing, I remember those silly little crayons too. It reminds me that even when I feel really down in the dumps, I'm not a hopeless case.

Bring on the corniness

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our school does not incorporate a written or verbal test but I am personally in favor of testing not only the students physical abilities but also knowledge of their martial art and the positive effects it has (which would be a personal essay).
I would imagine that if you do decide to test in such a way that you will have to gather up a syllabus for all of your students with criteria necessary for them to accomplish in order for them to earn their next ranking..... (for example) which would include pattern/kata, basic technique, sparring, breaks (optional), self-defense, terminology and/or theory which would include general knowledge, etiquette and history.

kchenault
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: TKD, little Hap Ki Do, Target Focus Training

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our school requires a written portion for anyone testing for blackbelt or higher. So far the theme has been, "What do you like about TKD and what has it done for you?" Can't wait 'til I get my chance. Just a couple more years I think.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think thats a very good idea. its good to know if you have a sharp student. they need a strong body and mind

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a written test for black belt. It is done once as a brown belt and redone right before the black belt test.

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a written test for every belt grading, it must be 100 % correct in order to pass the grading. But if it is not right when handed in sensei will hand it back and we will have to correct our mistakes. He will tell us how many are wrong but not which ones, A very good system I think. As long as we eventually get them all right it will be ok. I do not know of a situation where it had to be handed back twice

btw we also are asked several oral questions at the day of the grading

I AM CANADIAN

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickchick

I had thought about making a syllabus. However I find myself teaching history between sets. I guess thats me being a history teacher. As soon as we finish a kata or a set of basics while the class is catching their breath I will go on about some aspect of karate. Could be our history, my training history, how certin techinques are taught and are differant. ETC. Then when it comes test time I think of the stuff I talked about the last few weeks. That way I know they are listing and paying attention at all times. However I always ask certin questions that everyone should know.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: