Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I have always done on my tests. I do not know how many other schools do something like this but I want to see how you all take to it.

At the end of the test I give a Oral Q+A session with each student testing. I do this becasue their body is tired and I want to see if their mind is still working. I ask some really simple question like "Who is the founder of Shotokan Karate?" The I ask a lot of open ended questions like "Tell me 3 self defense situations you coudl use a rising block for?" Then I will ask a few questions on stuff they may not understand such as "explain the purpose of the last 3 moves in your kata?" I do not grade them on right or wrong but on their ability to answer.

I think for one to be good at Martial Arts they got to alwasy be thinking. If the mind stops then the body does. I have had a few student who done really well on the physical part of the test but blew this part. In each case I failed the student. I have also had students who were boarderline on passing until they got to this part and made up. I hold this mental part of my test higher than the physical.

I do this on every test from White to Black.

I just wanted to know if a Q+A was a common practice in a lot os schools.

I guesss being a HS teacher makes me enjoy the testing part a bit more. LOL.....

[ This Message was edited by: G95champ on 2002-04-06 23:49 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting concept G95. No I am sorry to say we had nothing like this in our testing process. We had a written black belt test that takes most several days to complete. It is a very comprehensive one. And would be way to long for a sit down in a group test.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never cared for the written test myself. However I have saw many schools use them. The Dan tests we do are the only ones that take more than one class. Becasue we must teach several classes first to show we have the ability to do so. Otherwsie our tests are done in 30mins to 2 Hours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

chris luckcuck
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea,
Some of it, i think is pure reflex but the rest is definatley down to quick thinking.
In our club the higher grades (purple +) get questioned in training and in the gradings, mainly about the names of techniques and parts of the body, we also have to explain certain techniques without moving arms, legs etc.. to see if we really know the stuff. The open ended questions and stuff about the Kata i think is an excellent idea, makes people think about what their doing. I never remembered the names of techniques until i realised we got asked about them.

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At our school we do the exact same thing.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im glad to hear others do it. I think that gives my students who are not as advanced physically an edge and keeps the more advanced students more humble.

tigerstyle18
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you're gonna ask questions at the ned of a test they should be more relevant to the student's life. They should instinctively know what situations you block in. I've been asked questions like "what are my strong and weak points?, where do I see myself 6 months down the road?, and what are my personal goals in and out of the dojo?"
questions like that. I do however like the idea of an oral exercise.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelent idea ... Unfortunatelly in our dojo it's done only for 1st kyu. The others won't have the opportunity of showing how smart they are. And I know so many things
well back to the idea. I think it's great because everybody should have a minimum of knowledge regarding the stuff they practice and they should be able to "reason" even after a "killing" physical test.
Maybe I'll convince sensei to do this

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we do oral tests simular too this, as rank increases the difficulty of the questions do too. We also have to do written tests

I AM CANADIAN

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Club does the exact thing. We ask them questions right after Katas and Kumite. It really helps in the conditioning.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: