Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

hazeleyes202
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: The Bullying Experiment! Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EisZTB4ZQxY

Thoughts? If you were placed in the same situation, what would you do? What if you saw this happening in a street setting?
“When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That's the message he is sending.” - Thich Nhat Hanh

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very interesting video. I hope that I would have the courage to step in; especially if it were a woman or a child being bullied.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly not sure I'd take those guys seriously. Who says "I'm gonna sock you in the face"?

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
Honestly not sure I'd take those guys seriously. Who says "I'm gonna sock you in the face"?

A fair point. I like when he says "you just walked away from a guy getting brutally beat." Brutally beat?

I don't know if I would have gotten involved. Especially if I was alone. I'll call someone. I might announce, "I'm calling the cops" out loud. But I don't think I'd jump in.

In some ways, it's for the same reason I don't stop if I see a car broken down. Too many stories of people doing that as a trap and then some Good Samaritan stops and gets robbed (or far worse). I mean, do you think people don't stage fights like this and when someone tries to stop the fight, they turn on them?

I'm sure Brian and/or Alex might have some thoughts on this, working in law enforcement.

And that's not to say there is anything wrong with jumping in or that it's not noble. At the same token, I don't think it's fair to criticize those people who just walked by - who knows if they didn't call for help as soon as they turned the corner?

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if, as a female, I would be more likely to step in if it were just verbal bullying. I'd be terrified of putting myself into the middle of two unknown males physically going at it, but if he was just verbally putting him down or insulting him, I might be more likely to step in and say something. Or even if it were two females going at it, though that's still messy (what if one had a weapon or we got into legal ramifications or she had friends that were going to come after me).

I, too, am interested in hearing our LEOs' points of view.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kinda like the bystander effect. I think it depends on the person watching whether they feel also intimidated by the bully or if they think they have the power, physically or verbally, to help.

It is funny though what people will and won't do. A couple of years ago I spun my car into a ditch and nearly rolled it... the amount of people who just drove past and didn't stop to check if I was fine or needed any help - especially as I was a female alone miles from anywhere. After that I always stop and ask people if their ok if it's not immediately obvious that they are.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call the police!!

I'd say something to get the bullies attention away from his/her victim. If I'm attacked by the bully, well, that would be the bullies first mistake.

Something must be done, imho. Whether it's verbal intervention or if it's getting between said victim and bully. But, do something until the police arrive. What I've seen is that too many people are afraid to "get involved" and I don't call it getting involved when protecting someone from a bully.

Bullies have a place, and it's called...JAIL, if warranted.

Would I beat up the bully? NO!! But, I'd do something!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try to step in and stop it, but that's kind of my job, too. Its tough for us to know exactly what the people who saw this going on were thinking; if they viewed it as serious or not. However, I do think the video drives home a point. Our society is more likely to watch than to stand up and act. As the saying goes, evil thrives when good men do nothing to stop it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I'd try to step in and stop it, but that's kind of my job, too. Its tough for us to know exactly what the people who saw this going on were thinking; if they viewed it as serious or not. However, I do think the video drives home a point. Our society is more likely to watch than to stand up and act. As the saying goes, evil thrives when good men do nothing to stop it.

Solid post!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: