Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: The Katana Series Reply with quote

This is about a book series, I figured that fits in this part of the forum, if not please move appropriately...

The Katana Series by Ken Warner consists of 5 Books:

Katana Shodan: The Scroll of the Five Masters
Katana Nidan: The Unwritten Koan
Katana Sandan: The Code of Bodhidharma
Katana Yodan: The Immortal Masters
Katana Godan: Nemesis

Has anyone come across them before? I struggle to make it through a book, the Harry Potter books are probably the only books I managed to get through until I came across these books. It literally feels like a martial art version of Harry Potter! definitely recommend seeking them out if that is your sort of thing...

If you have read them, what did you think?

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are they like? Are they more fantasy based, or historical fiction, or a modern era storyline more like a typical novel? I'd be interested in checking them out. Is the author an actual Martial Artist?

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantasy based, modern type of story line. The Author is a martial artist main styles being Kempo, Kung fu and tai chi which are some of the main styles that we see in the books.

He takes Martial art mythology and turns it into a fantasy story. There is a secret society that uses the dark art of Dim Mak who are the main bad guys throughout the series.

There is also this martial arts school called the Hall of Dragon, which is where the main character gets invite to which is basically their version of Hogwarts!

I don't feel like I am really doing it justice, I think if you look into it you can actually download the first book for free, it's definitely worth checking out!

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashworth wrote:
Fantasy based, modern type of story line. The Author is a martial artist main styles being Kempo, Kung fu and tai chi which are some of the main styles that we see in the books.

He takes Martial art mythology and turns it into a fantasy story. There is a secret society that uses the dark art of Dim Mak who are the main bad guys throughout the series.

There is also this martial arts school called the Hall of Dragon, which is where the main character gets invite to which is basically their version of Hogwarts!

I don't feel like I am really doing it justice, I think if you look into it you can actually download the first book for free, it's definitely worth checking out!

Sounds intriguing. i'll need to give it a look, thanks!

I'm just finishing the new prequel/follow up to the Hellequin books but that sounds like an interesting option for a new book

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to insert some of the words I learned while compiling a massive amount of debt in order to be called a Master of the English Language.

From what I can tell from reviews, both professional and reader, it seems to be a speculative/slipstream young adult book. Slipstream is an umbrella term used to say that a book, or story, has a setting that is either the modern, real world or a world that is closely paralleled in technology and culture. In this alternate world, there is some element of fantasy (in this case Chi being quantifiable and used as a force instead of abstract and philosophical). In essence, it's an imagining of our world with a few things that are different. This is nice because for the reader, they do not have to do a lot learning about the world or memorize a bunch of obscure locations, making the things that they do need to learn much more manageable. For the writer, they don't have to create some huge fantasy world with that they have to keep track of. It's a genre which has been seeing rising popularity within the last 2 decades (think Harry Potter, Hunger Games, or, going back even further, Slaughterhouse Five).

This one looks like a fun read. I think I'll pick it up to read to my kiddo.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: