Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

Himokiri Karate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 215


PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: The urban legend of Master X...I am trying to find it! Reply with quote

I first heard about this in 2005 about a poster in some forum talking about a strange encounter meeting a kung Fu master named Master X. He had to wait outside until the receptionist called him in. Once he went there, he was at a training room with flowers and decorations.

Here he met Master X who had him in front of the mirror performing strange hand postures and forms.

Everything else is hazy but I remember the poster got light hearted ribbings from the folks replying to this thread. I don't remember what happened next and every now and then more often than I care to admit, I fall in a rabbit hole of endless curiosity of what was that all about.

Anyone remember this story?
_________________
It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 14819
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I can't say that I've ever heard of this Master X; doesn't ring a bell. I even tried to Google Master X, and only came up with Master X Master, which is an online video game that was published in 2017.



_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Himokiri Karate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 215


PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Sorry, I can't say that I've ever heard of this Master X; doesn't ring a bell. I even tried to Google Master X, and only came up with Master X Master, which is an online video game that was published in 2017.




Same here, I appreciate it though. It was such a weird story that the strangeness of it stuck with me. Truly something that shook the mundaneness of the whole thing.
_________________
It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 28085
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it could have been a hoax.
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Joined: 23 May 2014
Posts: 412
Location: United Kingdom, England, Shropshire
Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If, and it is a big if, memory serves correctly it was a hoax presented as an investigation on the old, euphemism combined with Shido forums. Someone wrote a series of posts about visits to the Dojo/Dojang/Kwoon/Gym of this Master X. After so many posts the hoax was revealed, and I believe deleted.

I do believe it received a heavy dose of scepticism when a post about a supposed episode of Dojo Yaburi appeared. An outside fighter, supposedly trained in MMA, challenged Master X and it was apparently quite the even fight. Involving Master X having devastating strikes even from the bottom position. That post started it towards the "investigations" end.

As far as I know, it was deleted due to the intentional deception, and it undermining the intent of investigations.
_________________
R. Keith Williams

A Rarely Used Blog:
An Uncertain Path
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Himokiri Karate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 215


PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Heretic wrote:
If, and it is a big if, memory serves correctly it was a hoax presented as an investigation on the old, euphemism combined with Shido forums. Someone wrote a series of posts about visits to the Dojo/Dojang/Kwoon/Gym of this Master X. After so many posts the hoax was revealed, and I believe deleted.

I do believe it received a heavy dose of scepticism when a post about a supposed episode of Dojo Yaburi appeared. An outside fighter, supposedly trained in MMA, challenged Master X and it was apparently quite the even fight. Involving Master X having devastating strikes even from the bottom position. That post started it towards the "investigations" end.

As far as I know, it was deleted due to the intentional deception, and it undermining the intent of investigations.


THATS IT!!!!

Now its coming back to me! Tell me more. I thought I was making this up and was a false memory that was driving me crazy but you are confirming that this story was told.

the truth is moot point, I just thought I was going insane and that it was all made up in my head but you proved that it was a story that was told regardless of its truth.
_________________
It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Joined: 23 May 2014
Posts: 412
Location: United Kingdom, England, Shropshire
Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies, but I read the story around the time you did, and my gut instinct was that it was a hoax very early on. As a McDojo story, it was "Too Perfect" and had too many compelling twists: such as the challenge fight that did not go terribly for Master X.

I can tell you the story existed, based on my recollection, and I can tell you with a high level of certainty that it was deleted for being a hoax. However, I have provided all the details I can recall.
_________________
R. Keith Williams

A Rarely Used Blog:
An Uncertain Path
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Himokiri Karate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 215


PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Heretic wrote:
Apologies, but I read the story around the time you did, and my gut instinct was that it was a hoax very early on. As a McDojo story, it was "Too Perfect" and had too many compelling twists: such as the challenge fight that did not go terribly for Master X.

I can tell you the story existed, based on my recollection, and I can tell you with a high level of certainty that it was deleted for being a hoax. However, I have provided all the details I can recall.


First of all, I want to thank you from my bottom of my heart. I thought this Master X story was some false memory that got stuck in my head. Regardless of its validity, I am glad someone has heard this story before and it was not made up memory of some thread I read in the 2000s.

This has been very helpful and I am glad others remember the story. For what its worth, it was a good story and the person who came up with it is a great story teller and that in itself is a very respectable skill.
_________________
It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Patrick
KF Administrator

Joined: 01 May 2001
Posts: 27240
Location: Los Angeles, California

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's pretty fun that you both have recollection of this from other online forums and are talking about it here. It either happened or this is one of those Mandela effect moments.
_________________
Patrick O'Keefe - KarateForums.com Administrator
Have a suggestion or a bit of feedback relating to KarateForums.com? Please contact me!
KarateForums.com Articles - KarateForums.com Awards - Member of the Month - User Guidelines
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Himokiri Karate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 215


PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
I think it's pretty fun that you both have recollection of this from other online forums and are talking about it here. It either happened or this is one of those Mandela effect moments.



I feel the same! Man it felt like such a closure. I mean the part about Master X being challenged and him holding his own was something I heard but others forgot what the Kung Fu guys name was but now the person in this thread mentioned him being about Master X.

My Master X story was about a student going to his place and he had the student perform strange techniques in front of the mirror. But another person mentioned that he was challenged by an MMA guy. This Master X had few threads about him that made him well known for that time. But for some reason he just disappeared and was forgotten. Yet I thought the story of him was just a figment of my imagination since after years of searching I came up empty and I felt I was losing it in a big way. But I am glad someone else heard the story and some of his stories matched the ones


He was so much like a forum pulp fiction urban legend of traditional and Mixed Martial arts. The story of Master X was during the pre-social media era sort of speak. In the early to mid-2000s the forums were dominating the social conversation. Sure we had social network like myspace but the main conversations happened in forums. Specially niche topics like martial arts or anything that constitutes a community. This was such a long time ago that for sure this is the perfect example of a Mandela effect.
_________________
It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - Staff - User Guidelines >