Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: This should be ILLEGAL!!!! Reply with quote

I was looking in the web and I found this guy advetising unrealistic self defense that can get you killed!!! http://www.closecombattraining.com/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illegal? There's nothing illegal about the free enterprize system.

Whether what he teaches is effective or not is only up to the individual. I can't say one way or another based on an audio and some print in an ad, it'll take hands on to determine that. These type of advertisements have become a dime a dozen because you can find these ads in most every magazine. I wasn't impressed with the ad or its contents or claims because they're just that...things.

Toptomcat
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Japanese and Korean karate systems, judo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on! Evenhandedness is well and good, but you've got to draw the line somewhere. Anyone selling a combat system that can be learned in hours without hard exercise, training partners, works without legs, requires no regular practice, made Allied soldiers in WWII discard their firearms as 'slow and clumsy', paralyze a man twice your size and weight even if you miss what you're aiming at, works despite a disadvantage in size, weight, surprise, and numbers, allows unarmed men to consistently disable people armed with firearms, and will dramatically improve your personal life, your work, and your golf game is selling you a bill of goods.

Judging from the system's name, the garbled history the website gives, and the videos, the actual fighting system seems to have its origins in the Close Quarters Combat military variant of Defendu put together by Fairbairn and Sykes during WWII, which by all accounts is not a bad system when taught by someone who actually has business teaching it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Come on! Evenhandedness is well and good, but you've got to draw the line somewhere.

Sure, but, where and how should the line be defined? I don't like his ad no more than anybody else, but, this guy has a right to operate competitively for profit.

I doubt the effectiveness of what he claims in his ad. By not buying what he's selling is how the line should be drawn to stop these type of ads; getting them right in their pocketbook, but, this guy has an already established customer base that's looking for these kind of ads. Ads that can provide them with a quick fix to their self-defense needs.

Meanwhile, he has the free enterprize system on his side until he violates the free enterprize system, and that's up to lawyers to address in a court of law.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to wait until someone gets seriously hurt trying one of his moves and the guy will be sued. It's really all you can do.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't sit through the whole sales pitch to actully see anything he's teaching. So, I really can't comment on his movements. It's probably garbage but I really don't know. ADD I guess.

As to the numbers on the heart rate and it's effect on combat, he's correct. That science has been pretty well established at this point. It is something to take into consideration.

As to the idea that ONLY gross motor movements are useful in a fight due to the HR issues and learning curve- that is actaully a concern with teaching LE and military where training only occurs on an annual or biannual basis. However, it should be a consideration, not a hard fast rule. For instance, firearms training consist of some of the most complex motor skills invovled in combative training. You can minimize fine motor function while shooting and manipulating a firearm but never remove it due to the nature of working with one.

Also, Siddle, one of the biggest proponents of gross motor function alone, even states in his writings that performance of complex skills can be conducted at high levels of HR due to continued, repetitive training and the way this hard wires the brain. This is a factor when you consider the average ma-ists trains 2-3 times a week. This equals alot more reps and can let you get away with more complex movements at higher levels of HR.

This in turn, will give you more response options. Again, most of the thoughs along the lines of those given by people doing RSBD (kind of what this guy is talking about) i that more options lead to a longer reaction. A bad thing in combat. However, Siddle again states that hihg volumes of training and hard wiring can cut down on this Hick's Law factor (the idea of more options leading to more lag time in response).

It's actually pretty interesting science. Siddle's book, "Sharpening the Warriors Edge" is well worth a read on the subject.

As to the idea of being sued when something doesn't work in a combative situation, I'd actually hate to see that precident. Despite all the snake oil salesmen out there, you can't expect anything to work 100% of the time in the reality of the street, even coming out of a good school that trains realistically. It just doesn't happen. If anyone who gets beat up after training can sue (and reliably win) most schools in America will close. There simply isn't enough certaintly in the chaos of a fight to "win" every single time.

Just my thoughts on it. It's too much of a sliperly slope for everyone.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a sales pitch that really gilds the lily and is geared towards a certain audience, one that will respond to the flow and sincerity of his voice, and believers in his revelation of a "secret meeting" in London to develop a combat system that would prevent the Nazis from conquering the world.

I didn't catch Captain Chris's last name, nor did I know how I could verify the attack he and his wife encountered--saved by the good luck of a police car just happening to be driving by. But it's great that he slashed the price from nearly $300 dollars to under a hundred.

Things like this popped up for me on a regular basis when I weight-trained. I remember the "mass builders" that promised you'd gain a pound a day of rock-hard muscle. And how many products today still claim "secrets revealed"?

It all boils down to the old saw, Caveat emptor.

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between all that and the supplements that say "I burned thirty pounds of fat by obeying this one rule" where I have watched over the last year and the time frames went down from two months to one month to six weeks to four weeks and now it's three weeks ... I darn near lost my mind. These things make me ever so upset.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one that looks like an "exposing" of a diet scheme/fad, but turns it all around. Note that the names, "Consumer News" and "News 7" are very much like reputable companies.

http://www.news7daily.tv/us/us6.php?t202id=1376&t202kw=300

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys sit here and debate- Im buying the 60% off DvDs....

The only thing that can top that ad is instead of "mistaken identity" he was ambushed by a gang of ninjas

SOLD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: