Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

UselessDave
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Those who never find the style. Reply with quote

You see propably one of those in every course for beginners. They can do a lot somehow, but nothing too good. They kick, punch and throw - somehow. They know something about many styles. They start a new style often but stop, maybe after the first belt, decide this wasn't their thing. You can tell for certain, they are not gonna continue in this style.

Why do they continue the searching? Why does their interest towards a style go low so soon? On many people training martial arts, the problem is they can't train many styles enough. So what's making that big difference there?

Snake
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Previously Muay Thai. Now Kyokushin Kaikan.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you post an interesting question.

I believe that different people lose interest in particular styles for various reasons. One of the most obvious examples is where a person has tried a stand-up striking style (such as muay thai, boxing etc) and later feels as though he/she would be better suited to, for example, a ground based fighting system (such as BJJ). Or perhaps the situation may not be as simple as this. For example, the two main reasons for my move from muay thai to Kyokushin were that:

a) I was looking for a bit more tradition than what was on offer to me at my muay thai gym;

b) the philosophies expounded by the gym I was in were not all ones I could agree with, and were ones that continued to bother me.

Whilst these reasons (and others like them) may seem pedantic, you have to remember that a martial art is for life (to me, at least). I think that it's best to find a school/style that is best suited to your needs, so that training doesn't become a chore. Unfortunately, finding that school/style may take some longer than others. I personally have never regretted my choice though.

I hope this helps.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because people's desires almost always extend much farther than their willingness to work hard to attain them. It's that simple.

Snake
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Previously Muay Thai. Now Kyokushin Kaikan.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
Because people's desires almost always extend much farther than their willingness to work hard to attain them. It's that simple.

...(or that)

chris0828
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it's about finding a style other times I think people lose patience and think that another style will give quicker progression. They're wrong, from the little I've seen learning a martial art takes time, patience and practice lots and lots of practice.

Solid_Snake1211
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys whatever style you choose TRAIN HARD AND THEN HARDER.. be powerful beyond measure
You Push Yourself Until You Think you've Reached Your Limit. First Your Body Wants To Stop, But Your Mind Keeps Pushing You. Then Your Mind Wants To Stop, But Your Spirit Keeps You Going. You Endure The Pain. You persevere. THIS IS OSU!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snake wrote:
ps1 wrote:

...(or that)

I'd agree with this. Nothing worth while comes easy. That's tough for some.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people are like this in life too. Never pleased with something, always looking for new thrills and maybe getting bummed up when they realize any style needs WORK and commitment.

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it is more complicated than just being a butterfly. I tried all sorts of arts before settling on Karate, none of them really interested me after a short while and I became quite antipathic towards some. However when I came back to Karate I realised that what had put me off it in the first place was not the art itself but the way it was taught in the first club I tried. Once I had that realisation it was natural to re-open my judgement on all those other arts that I had tried and rejected.

Finding a martial art is a combination of style, club, ethos, teaching ability, convenience, demographics and all sorts of other things. I'm surprised that so many seem to get it right in the end at all.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you move area alot and have to deal with what you can get which is kinda my situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: