Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

TheDevilAside
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: American Kenpo

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the fact that they'll probably pin you for excessive force, I see no problem with that. Why not kick him while he's down? It keeps him from getting back up and having to start all over again.

Mart
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Thai Boxing 6 years

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are down but unhurt fair enough.

I they are hurt and staying down i wouldnt kick them

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding my signature, as I have mentioned in other posts, I am in a competitive club. The quote is that when you have taken down someone with a sweep or a takedown, rather than punching them, you can do a leg technique. It looks flashier but its just an aspect of our training. As for my latest post, I don't see any mention of religion. That was from my post before and that is just what my research and feelings show. My second post was regarding respect. If the respect is being shown another way, than I don't see a major problem with not bowing. And you are right, bowing is just a movement, any connotation comes from you. But we don't bow in class simply because we are instructed to do so. We do it because it is a way of showing respect. Im just saying that if someone came to me and was sincere about not bowing for a reason, I would try to see if they would change their mind. Otherwise, I would give it serious thought and let them know.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mart by the way, if we are going to attack signatures, your signature is a joke that may be offensive to some Indians.

I am an Indian. That joke is offensive, that being said, you don't have to change it if you don't want to. I just don't have to read it. The point I was trying to make is that signatures may say one thing and mean another.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Athorn4941
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think there is nothing wrong with bowing. I bow to people at work and the funny thing is people bow back or now bow to each other.

The reason I bow is to show respect to the people I work with, and I also dont like shacking hands with people.

Thats my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's my opinion.

If the intent of entering a martial art school is to study a culture, language, or customs of another country, then by all means enforce such things as bows, foreign definitions to basic techniques, or societal norms of a distand land. However, i enter a martial art school to study martial arts, not to cater to some foreign social ettiquette. Granted, if my instructor finds my actions revolting, because he's not familiar with my culture, then i should attempt not to be so offensive to him. In truth, i would try my best to be cordial and to accommodate the social 'needs' of my instructor, assuming doing so does not impose undo humility or insult to me.

That is, really, one of the bigger issues. There are plenty of native instructors imposing foreign ettiquette, language and customs into their martial arts training regimen. Many do not implement them correctly, or have simply added them as a means to try to present a more 'traditional' ambiance. Personally, i find that not merely discourteous to the other natives, but also disingenuous.

Intro

krunchyfrogg
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JEM618 wrote:
Why do people shake hands? Why do people bow?

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Ooops, that’s too far…

Anyway origin of the handshake: When meeting strangers – the handshake was used to show peace, an amicable meeting, i.e., your hand was empty: you were not holding a weapon… sword, gun, knife etc. (That’s why the right hand was extended, it’s the primary weapon hand for most) Used by knights and cowboys.

Just a minor nitpick. A handshake was originally used by knights/bodyguards to actually shake free a concealed weapon up someone's sleeve, and usually done to everyone upon entering certain areas or events (where an assassination attempt seemed possible).

It's lived on as a greeting.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: