Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought long and hard about bringing up this topic. It is about physical training and me. Or more aptly how I may be a bit different after 20 years of multiple sclerosis than say a normal healthy person.

I find the big differences are:
Heat tolerance
Stamina
Recovery Time

Like most people with ms I am affected much more adversely and much sooner by heat than the average person. Heat makes the nerve transmissions that are allready impaired fire even more slowly. Heat can also trigger exacerbations (the opposite of remission) of the disease. I go into heat exhaustion much more rapidly than most of you.

Stamina, well like most with ms I have a much shorter period of time I am able to so extremely physical things than a healthy person. And it takes a longer recovery time. Sometimes taking a break helps sometimes not.

Recovery time. Well it takes me a longer physical recovery time than for a healthy person. Which makes consistent training harder. I was thinking about this yesterday as I was sitting in the shower. I had planned on going in to the gym to train. But I was kind of wiped out. I knew I could force myself to go in but that if I did instead of just taking an extra recovery day I would end up having to take an extra 3-4 recovery days of minimal physical exertion.

When I get too badly overtired I wake up feeling like I am made out of wood.

For what it is worth I throw this out for reponses.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen Sai.... all I can say is .... I've got to hand it to you for training period! You're an inspiration to us all! You just listen to your own body ... and act accordingly. I have a feeling you're a survivor and have a very strong will, maybe that is why it bothers you so when you have to take time off to recover....if you feel you aren't training when doing this then supplement it by kicking back with a good book on martial arts or health/fitness (that is what I do!)....

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sai, I think KickChick has said everything I want to say, you are an inspiration to everybody here, including myself, for simply training with a condition like that and still trying!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think what I have learned to do is what everyone will have to learn sooner or later. That is those who want to continue physical activities later in life. Learn to listen to our bodies.

They (the medical establishment) used to tell us don't get hot, don't get tired. Some of the things I do on a routine basis would horrify them. But I am really not alone. If you look around in you gym or health club you see older people working out now. Hey 25 years ago most of them - if they came in at all- just sat in the whirlpool.

I think everyone can benefit from learning how to listen to what their body tells them regardless of age. Then go on to wether or not the mental wants to do it when the body says it is ok. For many it is the mental that looses when the physical says ok.

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KickChick just about summed it up.

I find people like you a real inspiration to get to work on my own goals. Makes people who miss training for petty reasons look kinda dumb.

Keep on keepin on.

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sentiments exactly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SuperMinh
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sai you've got all my respect and admiraction for your strength and dedication.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: