Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: TSD vs TKD Reply with quote

Well, I've been taking Tang Soo Do for 5 months. I'm a yellow belt, almost orange. However, my friend is deciding whether or not to take TSD with me, or to learn TKD which is a different form. Are there any differences between TKD and TSD? Also, I'm not really sure if it's true or not; but my parents keep saying that Tae kwon do isn't worth the money. I can't believe that. I prefer to stick with Tang soo do though.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKD tends to get the McDojo rap more than most MAs out there. Not that TKD really hasn't done this to itself, but in the end, a lot of schools suffer for it. When it comes to deciding to learn any style, its important to go take a look at the schools, watch classes, ask questions, and then make an informed decision.

As far as differences in the two styles goes....depending on the TKD organization in question, there is a likelyhood that the forms will not be synonymous with Karate style forms; TSD, from the styles I've read about, have forms that are essentially brought from Karate styles, with some few differences and some different names. TSD schools may do more form application work than a TKD school, but this will vary, as well.

I think the main difference may come in the focus on sparring. WTF schools will likely have a higher focus on sparring Olympic style sparring, and ITF will have a different sparring method. I'm not sure of what kind of focus TSD schools will place on sparring. You also have to consider the attitude of the teacher of each school, as well, and how they prefer to approach sparring, and in what manners.

In the end, it would be easiest to answer by going to observe some of the classes your friend goes to check out, and see what differences you notice. If you do that, come back and tell us about them, because I'd love to know, as well.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type (and quality) of TKD will depend on the individual school. As bushido_man96 already said, the two main styles of TKD are WTF and ITF and you'll get good and bad schools in each of them. There are also numerous other types of TKD too. I'm no expert on TSD but from what I gather, its closer to Karate than TKD is although it is similar to TKD in a number of ways too. I'd go check out the school first before making any decisions

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will, thanks. I knew there was some good in TKD. I don't know why some people think it's horrible.
Anyway, my friend started to take Tae kwon do. I'll see if I can observe some classes.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FangPwnsAll7 wrote:
I don't know why some people think it's horrible.
it's simply because of this: If you encounter a six year old second Dan black belt with a uniform covered in patches whose structure is dodgy and consists of flaily acrobatics, and you ask "What style do you do?" they are, by far, most likely to answer "TKD". Not to say that there aren't other arts that have schools like that, or that all schools do that, but they've generated a large portion of the horror stories that plague us all.

Excoastie
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trained in TKD for almost 2 years before life and work interfered with my training. I was able to obtain a green belt, after learning the basics, several forms, and an introduction to sparring.

After almost a year absence, I joined a new dojang that was TSD, and I've never been happier. The TKD school was good and the instructors excellent, it just didn't have the "family atmosphere" that the new school has. I know this has nothing to do with the style, but it was a prime motivator in staying with the school.

I recently (in April 2012) obtained my 1st Dan in TSD, and I haven't noticed very much difference in the techniques between TSD and TKD. There are a few, such as the chambering for a knife hand, and the position of the foot (vertical vs horizontal) while doing a back pivot/ spinning side kick.

The forms/ patters are different, but I think that is probably true for most organizations, as each organization has it's own set of forms/ patterns.

I don't think that you and your friend will have any difficulty training together, so long as you both respect the differences in each of your styles.

Exco

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my current dojo, too. A lot of the students are nice, but they fool around sometimes. It doesn't really bother me though. We observed each other's classes. I really didn't think there was much of a difference.

chiliphil1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
FangPwnsAll7 wrote:
it's simply because of this: If you encounter a six year old second Dan black belt with a uniform covered in patches whose structure is dodgy and consists of flaily acrobatics, and you ask "What style do you do?" they are, by far, most likely to answer "TKD". Not to say that there aren't other arts that have schools like that, or that all schools do that, but they've generated a large portion of the horror stories that plague us all.

nail on the head! This is exactly the problem with tkd, public opinion. Tkd is a very legitimate art, but today it is more known for its flashy patches, camo belts, and almost gymnastic kicks, therefore its true potential has been masked by the methods of some schools. However in its origin tkd was as serious as any art out there, but it has lost a lot of that to the mainstream, and the Olympics. It may be possible for you to find a traditional school, but you would most likely have to look very hard.

8th Kyu
Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiliphil1 wrote:
JusticeZero wrote:
FangPwnsAll7 wrote:

nail on the head! This is exactly the problem with tkd, public opinion. Tkd is a very legitimate art, but today it is more known for its flashy patches, camo belts, and almost gymnastic kicks, therefore its true potential has been masked by the methods of some schools. However in its origin tkd was as serious as any art out there, but it has lost a lot of that to the mainstream, and the Olympics. It may be possible for you to find a traditional school, but you would most likely have to look very hard.

You don't have to look very hard at all for good TKD. I think the flashy TKD is probably easier to find because those type of schools also tend to be good at marketing it but school's that teach effective TKD are hardly hidden away down the back streets and in people's basements.

KyungYet
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: 100% powered by Tang Soo Do for nearly 30 years.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always say that what matters is the instructor, not the style. If you find a good instructor that you're happy with, the art doesn't really matter - and certainly not if the difference between the two styles in question is as small as that between TSD and TKD... TSD is actually a progenitor of TKD and they both share more DNA than do humans and chimps, LOL.

Previous posters are right: TSD is a little more "traditional" than TKD and TKD focuses on point-sparring more, because it's the national sport of Korea. TSD is not a sport. It's a traditional art and therein lies the main difference (more in emphasis than actual technique, most of the time).

I think the reason that TKD dojangs get a bad rap for being McDojos is because there are so damned many of them. It's not really TKD's fault as an art: if there were as many, I dunno, Isshin-Ryu dojos as there were TKD dojos, a lot of those would end up being dodgy. It's just a numbers game. More studios of the same type = more competition = more dodgy studios.

I like TKD just fine - again, just find a serious studio with a solid instructor who doesn't give away belts for tuition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: