Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Judo, and Kickboxing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: UFC Punches... Reply with quote

Is it just me or does anyone else notice that although UFC fighters have a good ground game and decent kicks, their punches lack techinque. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure theyre very powerful but it seems to me that the majority of them throw wild bar fight type hooks. They also never seem to block punches or kicks. Just something that crossed my mind.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of them have decent punching technique. They do pretty good jabs, crosses, and hooks, I think. Most of their defense involves covering and moving, and not outright blocking of punches. Much like Boxing does.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at people like the Diaz brothers, BJ Penn, Kenny Florian, Marcus Davis, Sam Stout, Spencer Fisher, and upper level fighter with decent striking has nice, clean movement and punches. As bushido_man96 said, they will generally cover to stop most strikes and check low kicks.

When they're not experienced, gassed or going for a looping over hand, things can get wild.

Lee M
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll see a big surge in boxing skills in the next 12 months.

Look at Dos Santos and GSP destroyed their last opponents with better boxing skills.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that traditional boxing is the best thing to attempt to employ in MMA. A boxing stance doesn't do much to protect you from kicks or take downs. I'm sure there's a Muay Thai forum in Thailand or Holland where they're complaining about how the quality of kicking and clinch work in MMA isn't the best. I know a lot of BJJ guys who say that 90% of MMA fighters "on't do Jiujitsu right".

We've seen pro-boxers get out struck in MMA, bro kick boxers get out kicked, and BJJ black belts get submitted = all by people who "lack in pedigree and technique.

The rules and environment change everything, and punching - at its core - is just a way to hurt someone by hitting them. Chris Leben and Wanderlei Silva have racked up lots of knockouts without pretty technique. I'd say that the best technique is the one that works.

thacker
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think that MMA fighters have sound and good boxing techniques for the most part at least until they start in with the haymakers. One technically sound MMA fighter to watch is GSP and although he is very technical in just about every area his boxing is exceptional. He is just awesome to watch and study techniques on.

scohen.mma
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu, Kaze No Ryu Bugei Ogawa Ha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, i've noticed that some of the best fighters like Georges St. Pierre, Nick Diaz and especially Nate Diaz have GREAT boxing technique. When GSP was going to fight Josh Koshcheck, Koshckeck was talking about how GSP just wrestles people and cant really punch or whatever, so what did GSP do? he focused on his boxing training and completely boxed Josh Koshcheck and won the fight. Nick Diaz does great with the body shots and jabs, and Nate Diaz i've noticed has great accuracy with his strikes and combos. Same with BJ Penn. but when it comes to blocking, your right. now a lot of them will try and block a punch. i think that something that goes through most of the UFC fighters minds is "a strong offense is a good defense."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: