Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davison wrote:
Sevenstar, I understand saftey just fine. As far as entering a mma event, I don't have anything to prove to anybody.

It's not about having anything to prove to anybody - except yourself in your case. If you think size doesn't matter, foolow my suggestion. that's why I suggest you enter. That big behemoth two weight classes above you who trains like a madman may indeed be the guy that you have to fight for your life against on the street someday...

Quote:
I fight for self defense purposes only,for the safety of myself, for others in need of help and for my country. You say "trust me,size matters", Have ever fought in the UFC or other like events?

I wouldn't say that if I hadn't. I will only speak from experience. I lost my last kickboxing match to a guy who outweighed me by about 80 pounds. It's hard to KO someone that much bigger than you, and I ended up losing by decision. In judo, I've won and lost against bigger guys, and done the same in grappling tournies. I can say from experience that size matters when given a similar level of skill. I've got an mma fight coming up april 2. I'll let you know how it goes.

If size didn't matter at all, you'd see no weight classes in sports. Why do you think they have them? Why do you think little guys like de la hoya aren't running around knocking out big guys like tyson? Heck, look at bob sapp - the guy doesn't have any great skill, but he's a big, ex football player. He's agressive and knows how to use his size. And it makes him hel! do deal with when he's in the ring.

Quote:
As far as the "Ironheart" event and asking to fight in two weight classes above my own, I don't think that would work considering I'm weighing in just under 300 lbs.

Then do the opposite. you are in the super heavy weight class - fight a guy that weighs about 225. You will see the advantage you have, provided your skills are up to par.

Quote:
I personally could care less if I had to fight someone bigger than me,It wouldn"t be the first time and certainly won't be the last time either.As far the pride event goes,thats fine but i'm not talking about the pride,i'm talking about the UFC.The bottom line is there will never be a true "ULTIMATE FIGHTER" as long as there is rules and regulations,...thats probably why they call it a sport.

nothing wrong with that. It's venue specific anyway. Even if there were no rules, it's not the "ultimate" fighter:

1. it's mma specific. guys who compete only in san shou, muay thai, bjj, boxing, etc. specifically would never enter.

2. even if some of them did, not all of them would.

as far as whether or not you're concerned about having to fight someone bigger - that's really not the issue. The issue is strength and size advantage - allowing you to see and acknowledge it.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that you train judo. you are a 300 lb guy doing judo... when you randori, how easy is it for the smaller guys with less experience than you to throw you? Especially with a loading throw, like o goshi, ippon seionage or tsuri komi goshi. pick ups, like ura nage will be he!! to get on you too. Why? your size. During ground work, it should be a big advantage for you as well.

Now, for the guys that are better than you, they may still beat you, but they will have to work harder than they would against a little guy. skill can trump size, but when skill is equal the scale tips in the bigger guy's favor.

Davison
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Hakko Denshinryu Jujutsu Kodokan Judo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, Sevenstar. I guess I just would like to see what would happen if there was a mma event that was totally a no holds barred event. I think it's just that I loved the older UFC events when no one really knew what it was, It's too mainstream for me now.I liked it better when anyone could sign up to fight in the UFC . It seems that now you have to be a "pro" just to get a chance.Back then,if you thought you were good anough,you were given the chance.

Davison
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Hakko Denshinryu Jujutsu Kodokan Judo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, Sevenstar. I guess I just would like to see what would happen if there was a mma event that was totally a no holds barred event. I think it's just that I loved the older UFC events when no one really knew what it was, It's too mainstream for me now.I liked it better when anyone could sign up to fight in the UFC . It seems that now you have to be a "pro" just to get a chance.Back then,if you thought you were good anough,you were given the chance.

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that's understandable. It's changed alot, as the competitors have changed. Now that it's actually becoming a mainstream sport, it's kind of gone from all styles competing to only people who who do thai boxing, boxing, catch, bjj, etc. as that's the formula that's been successful in these events.

1kickKO
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it'll happen...haha but that doesn't mean ya can't HOPE that it doesn't happen...doens't mean it won't though...sadly enough.

krzychicano
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: KSW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

practice practice practice!

wrestlingkaratechamp
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Brown belt shotkan karate/black belt 1st dan BJJ(8 years) high school wrestling champion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo, why is everyone hating on the UFC?

Ortiz is one of the greatest fighters alive....one of my favorites and a loud mouth

mai tai
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

size matters. there are 3 guys at my gym who i grapple with that are much larger. i am 180 and have above aveage strength. (315 bench 500squat).

these guys are all steroid freaks 240 and above.

1 guy i beat all the time, the other guy i beat 70 % of the time and the other guy i beat 10% of the time.

win lose or draw im always sore, or beat up. i try to go with them only about 1 or 2 a week.

Muaythaiboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: teakwondo judo muaythai boxing wresling kung-fu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like pride better than UFC but i really doubt it will turn in to wwf.

i like to watch the UFC but i hate it when they talk trash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: