Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Universal Principles Reply with quote

The human body can only move in so many ways; there are only so many ways to punch, kick and grab someone. With that in mind:

What principles seem to be inherent to all (or at least most) forms of codified combat?

So for example, the vast majority of styles emphasize economical movements and encourage relaxation between techniques.

Many styles also rely on the hips and core to generate power and utilize mass so all their movements are based on this.

Of course there are also going to be systems that go against the grain and don't adhere to any rules we come up with but are there any rules which was can apply across the board?

Would be interesting to see if any trends come out of this. Is there an Eastern / Western split in terms of guiding principles? Are there splits between hard and soft styles? Circular and linear styles?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the same wrist locks demonstrated in Jujitsu and Aikido books as I've seen found in Medieval Weapons manuscripts. The idea that there is nothing new under the sun is very true. What has changed over the years is specialization; Boxing with the hands, Judo with throws, TKD with kicking, BJJ with grappling, and the list goes on. Aside from the physical specialization of various styles, there are the philosophical specializations that have taken place, which create the differences between similar yet distinct styles like Hapkido and Aikido.

As far as some universal principles....it will probably take someone with a better mind than mine to pick them out.

As far as circular vs linear styles goes, I've noticed that no style is exclusively one or the other. Circles can work around straight lines, and straight lines are usually quicker than circles. So both are needed.

Changing levels I think could be a universal principle. Even in a limited target and weapon style like Boxing, high/low/high is important to keep an opponent off balance. Weapons fighting and self-defense is the same way.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one universal principal that applies is that of the center.

For example, in almost all grappling styles the relationship between you opponents center and your own is fundamental to executing good technique, however this same principle also applies in striking where many schools are tought to imaginge a line or a pole running through the center of their own or their opponents body to use as either a source of power or a target respectively.

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things i've noticed are range. long range strikes, close in strikes. Also getting on the inside, and keeping your opponent and bay at distance, this also goes along with the concept of in and out.

With that said, that also leads the cat and mouse aspect, where one person is the aggressor, and the other reacts to be engaged.

Levels, not just in striking where you go hi/low, low/high ect, in wrestling it was also a basic principal.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

complex torque. applies to almost all tuite and throws
push or pull= ok
push+pull=better
Push=pull+twist=great

sinking- a Tai Chi concept
Power comes from the ground up.

Kime- tension only at the end of the strike

Breathe!

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posture control. Striking,.grappling, throwing it doesn't matter. You need to control the other person's posture to be successful.

lit-arate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: American Kenpo; Aikido; Taekwondo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Tempest. No center control = no balance, no power, no targets.
people just imagine their minds are hard.
~ Shih-wu

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I look at principles I turn to physics for inspiration and its not that difficult to find some things that will be instantly applicable to your training.

Now strategy thats a different animal all together!

Stand up close, Stand up far, Stand up medium range, Stand up grappling, ground grappling. These different ranges all have multiple strategies that can be used or "Game" as my BJJ coach calls it.

lowereastside
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung fu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Universal Principles Reply with quote

My take on this subject is that - most know the Principles. I teach a Hakka system of Praying Mantis Kung Fu - The techniques are not that much different or similar to other Kung fu Styles and even some karate styles. Years ago I found a quote by another Martial Artist that goes like this - " The dance is not in the steps/movements but in...........THE BODY ".

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posture. Breathing. Efficiency. Balance. Footwork. Leverage. Utilization of the body as a whole unit. Deflection (e.g. not meeting force on force if you can help it). Focus. There's loads I can think of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: