Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Want to get back into it... Reply with quote

So, I haven't been to class really since March. The reasons why are many.

• I have a history of depression and anxiety (diagnosed) and recent troubles at work have been making things hard to deal with outside of work
  • Two different foot injuries that have occurred to my right foot have been making it hard to do many things that involve being on my feet (I have a doctors appointment.) Being barefoot on a tile floor for 2 hours doesn't help!
  • I have hyper-mobility in my shoulders, and it's not getting better with age. Hap Ki Do and loose shoulders don't play well together.
  • Our classes only run from 6pm-8pm on Tue/Thur. I've gotten used to having that time to myself/to me and my wife.

Ultimately, I want to get back into it, but I will need to accept my physical limitations (I'm sure my instructors will be understanding, too.) It only takes me a couple weeks to adjust to the time commitment. Things at work have been improving, as well.

I think I mostly need to get all this out in the open (and an "anonymous" can be a great place to start!) to get back into things.

At any rate, I've vented. Feel free to comment away!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a history of depression and anxiety too. Many people do. It's actually quite common. I'm sure you know already that sometimes you just have to do what you know will help you feel better for a while, even if you really really feel like putting it off. Ask yourself, when you put it off, are you making excuses or are your reasons genuine.

Foot pain, get some decent supportive trainers to cushion your feet and bit. Talk to your instructor, see if he has any opinions on what he'll allow when kicking pads etc. A low profile sole perhaps, and keep them exclusively for inside the dojang. That way everyone knows you're not dragging in muck from outside.

Hypermobility - sorry, can't help with that.

Schedule - you know you'll get back into it quickly. Once it becomes routine again it will just be normal.

Back to the first bit, please don't let issues at work affect your private life. I did that for a few years. It nearly ruined me. Work is where you go to trade some of your time and expertise for money. Sure it's great if you also enjoy it, but primarily you go there to sell something (a bit of your time and energy). Having fulfilled your side of the bargain for one day, you leave work, and your time is for you and those you choose to share it with.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While exercise does not "cure" depression, it can help with the symptoms. The social aspect can help as well. Working on self-improvement and seeing progress can help internalize good self-esteem. Also, combat sports can really help self esteem because of the constant testing.

When in the dojo, I find that the concentration and the act of learning prevents me from thinking about work (good or bad). It is not like running, which leaves my mind to wander or concentrate on the fact that I hate running.

As we get older or injured, we all must adapt any physical activity to our limitations.

As far as scheduling, you just have to make it a priority. We all have priorities whether we think about them or not. I know when I am doing something and should be doing something else.

As far as missing time from your family, a regularly scheduled activity that focuses on you can help you become a better person, therefore a better husband and father. Many women feel stressed if they do not get time away from the caregiver role. They take care of the children, husbands, elderly parents, care-giving jobs, etc. Having a regular activity that allows them to focus on themselves alleviates that stress and helps them be better people. They can come back feeling refreshed, less stressed, with better self-esteem, and be more effective.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advice here, thanks!

Yeah, the depression and anxiety thing really brings me down. When I'm down, I bring others down. My attitude would not be good for the class, and I won't be enjoying my time, so I choose not to impact others.

The work issues I was dealing with were quite extreme, very complicated, and directed at me (this isn't an appropriate venue for discussing it.)

LLEARNER - I've also been diagnosed with ADHD... Hiking works for me!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:

LLEARNER - I've also been diagnosed with ADHD... Hiking works for me!

As long as you have something.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: