Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: What about "vital point" striking? Reply with quote

How much of a role does the striking of vital points play in your art? I am familiar with a couple of different schools of thought on the subject. The Okinawan/Japanese systems call this Kyusho Jitsu. The Chinese call it Dim Mak. Various other systems call them accupoints. After looking at the different systems I think they only complement one another. The Chinese and some Okinawans use "set-up" points before the main strike. Other Okinawan systems just target the specific vital point. I just wanted to see what our bulletin board members have to say on the subject.

Goju1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: IOGKF Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good topic, Sasori_Te! We use the vital points extensively, as a matter of fact during the BB written exam, you must name and locate them. most of the applications/bunkai target them in relation to the katas. I feel they are an important part of karate and certainly fighting

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very important.

Its not how hard you hit lots of times but where you hit. Their are certin spots that just hurt more when hit. Just like finding the seam in a suit of armor. Hit them where it hurts.

kempocos
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RYUKYU KEMPO,MODERN ARNIS, ISSHINRYU,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vital point striking plays a major role in my training. I also use them in grappling/ self defense techniques. For those new to "POINTS" angle of the strike is very important as well. In regards to setup we use the concepts laid out in YIN-YANG and FIVE ELEMENT theories.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kempocos and I have some of the same training and share a similar viewpoint, if not the same, on this subject. I use the Yin Yang and Five element Theory in most of my vital point applications. Direction of the strike along with the set-up used all make vital point strikes more effective in my experience and training. A good knowledge of vital points will also let you see kata in a whole new light. Though the opposite can also be said. A good knowledge of kata will shed new light on vital points for you as they tend to go hand in hand.

Goju1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: IOGKF Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasori_Te wrote:
Kempocos and I have some of the same training and share a similar viewpoint, if not the same, on this subject. I use the Yin Yang and Five element Theory in most of my vital point applications. Direction of the strike along with the set-up used all make vital point strikes more effective in my experience and training. A good knowledge of vital points will also let you see kata in a whole new light. Though the opposite can also be said. A good knowledge of kata will shed new light on vital points for you as they tend to go hand in hand.

By direction and angle, you mean a slight upward tilt to your knife hand strike, for instance? Is there info online re the Five element theory you care to share? And I agree, the kata and vital points are intertwined in a beautiful manner. Not that the anti-kata people would agree

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goju1, try going to www.dragonsociety.com, or there are several books that I could recommend that you check out. Try 'Essential antomy For Healing And The Martial Arts' by Marc Tedeschi or 'The Encyclopedia of Dim Mak' by Erle Montaigue and Wally Simpson. The latter doesn't really cover The Five Element Theory but it does cover in depth the angle of the strike, the expected result and the antidote for the strike. There are others but I can't cover them all here. Try looking up Five Element Theory on Google or some other search engine. If not, I'd be happy to explain it to you in an e-mail or series of e-mails. Whatever it takes. I'm all about passing on knowledge.

Practise is the Key
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vital points...hmmmm when i attack I use mostly spear hand and knife hand. When i practise figthing with my sensei I use a spear hand to his stomach and throat trust me hahahahah....my spelling no good i lern english only 6 month hahaha

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not really the vital points I was referring to practise. I'm referring to more advanced and exacting points than the throat, major joints, eyes or groin. These are good for basic self defense but I'm talking about something that requires a lot more training and study.

angel
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Vitality? asks white belt Reply with quote

Hey people and respectable sensei and sempai,

will someone bother telling me a vital point so i can use it in combat. Noy kumite but in real life situations.

angel
Karate is for Self Defense not Offense
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: