Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: What do you think of Aikido? Reply with quote

I was looking on the net, and I found this site called Mcdojo.com. I was looking through there forums, and I found this section on Aikido. So I was curious on what people would write about it. The first few comments were pretty encouraging, and although it does not really matter, it is nice to hear positive comments about one's art. Whatever it is. Then in came the hard core, they basically ripped Aikido apart trashing it completely. Especially the internal study, which I study. Now, I have found a lot of Aikido bashing, almost as much as I have found TKD bashing, and like in the case of TKD, it is not right.

So my question is what do you think about it?

Also why do you think that?

I think in most case's the people on this site are well informed, geniune martial arts lovers, unlike the bad mouths on the mcdojo site. I am not fishing of Aikido completements, but to say that an Aikido master, is fat and could not fight his way out of a wet paper bag is a little harsh.

But I want your thoughts.

Also there has not been an Aikido thread for ages, so I thought I would start one.

Thanks for your time.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in a unique situation for some time...I practice both one of the most respected arts (BJJ) and one of the most misunderstood arts )TKD). I understand what it is like to see people talking smack about your art and it's effectiveness. I ask you, does it really matter? No.

As far as Aikido, my knowledge of it is extremely limited. I have read a bit online and I saw a demonstration once. It seems like a very valid principle, however it also seems like na art that takes a long time to master and be able to perform the techniques as fluidly as would be needed to really defend yourself. There is no Aikido school near enough to me for a trip down there to "check it out", but I would really be interested in learning a few of the seemingly devastating wrist locks. Some of the moves look complicated and very intricate; peerhaps these online bozos aren't smart enough to learn the technique!

Girls kick butt!

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be 100% honest with you Kensai, If I was ever going to take on another art it would probably be Aikido, for several reasons. Firstly there is not alot of grappling throwing used in goju and I think it would be nice to gather some expirence in that region, so one may ask why not do bjj or something like that. Well the aswer is simple I like the idea of moving someone out of my way without hurting them if not nessasary. I do not want to kill some drunk in a bar if I can just toss him out of the way. Perhaps though the reason why I would most like to train in aikido is the history. I do some Iaido in my kobudo training and I love the rich tradition that so many modern arts seem to forget. I have the understanding that Aikido has been around for quite some time and I am interested in studying and knowing more about it's history and taking part and learning about it through training. And lastly I would train in aikido for the mental benifits it holds and developments it encourages. And who wouldn't want to join an art that means the art of peace (yes I know it also means "the way of the universal force")

In closing I will quote the founder of Aikido, Morihei Ueshiba and that really sums it all up

Quote:
Aikido is a practical way of handling aggression and as a way of life that will make those who practice the art of peace more friendly, loving and wise. He believed that the principles of harmony, co-operation and empathy will make it easier to face and handle the difficulties in life and become stronger by it.

I AM CANADIAN

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks leaf, Aikido does have a nice history, and the translation of the name is in the eye of the beholder. Aikido can be many things, also most of the aikido techniques can be very dangerous, thats why most of them have been baned from UFC.

O Sensei Ueshiba has many great quotes. I have never heard that one before.

Out of interest, could you tell me a little about the okinwan styles, they have always interested me.

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you like to know history, technique, influances, key people etc. ... I will try to answer to the best of my ability athough there may be others that could tell you more

I AM CANADIAN

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry 360 I did not see your reply. Perhaps you are right about the bozo's, also I agree it does take along time to master. And again you are right that what they say does not matter.

I bow to great wisdom.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to take Aikido....I think it is a very good art as long as your sincere about it and want to learn. It blends well usually with other arts.

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Crazy Penguin Ninjitsu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an aikido stylist but based on my experiences,

Aikido has some of the best "theory" out there, the understanding of body mechanics and how things react is very high. BUT it lacks in application of that theory. By that I mean training against a resisting opponent. Without that gaining the timing to make any of those techniques work will take a very long time, if it ever happens.

Andrew Green
http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true. But in most clubs, when we get to about green belt which is after about 2 years or so, you resist partically. Then at black it is full resistance. The reason for the non resistance, is that you learn a lot more to the body mechanics quickly and not fumbling around trying to out strength your partner. The techniques should feel the same under no resistance, as they do with resistance, well thats the idea anyway.

Leaf could you tell me more of the techniques.

Thanks.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
Jump to: