Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as I said in Korean martial arts I think there is a more solid tone or "standard" for the word. I, as well as many other Tang Soo Do or Tae Kwon Do students commonly refer to their chief instructors as master so and so. It's so common I don't think most of us think about it, I certainly was so used to it I found that the name meant very little, or at least it didn't stand out or feel strange. As I stated, in Korean martial arts this is typically awarded to anybody about 4th degree or sometimes 5th degree black belt and I think it's more so seen as almost an educational standpoint.

On that note there is a really great article from Michael Jai White, and I really enjoyed reading it, check it out...

http://bzfilm.com/articles-notes/michael-jai-white-on-m-word/

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
Well as I said in Korean martial arts I think there is a more solid tone or "standard" for the word. I, as well as many other Tang Soo Do or Tae Kwon Do students commonly refer to their chief instructors as master so and so. It's so common I don't think most of us think about it, I certainly was so used to it I found that the name meant very little, or at least it didn't stand out or feel strange. As I stated, in Korean martial arts this is typically awarded to anybody about 4th degree or sometimes 5th degree black belt and I think it's more so seen as almost an educational standpoint.

On that note there is a really great article from Michael Jai White, and I really enjoyed reading it, check it out...

http://bzfilm.com/articles-notes/michael-jai-white-on-m-word/

Depends on the style as ITF Taekwon-Do grants the term at 7th dan. After this point there is no further material in the curriculum and at an absolute minimum the person would have 35+ years of training. The application process is pretty comprehensive too as you have to show what you've done over your TKD career such as number of students, who you've trained with, international events you've been at etc.

I don't get too hung up on the term personally as I think we read too much into it.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose so ITF likes to be different lol. You stillage the point that it is, in general a matter of rank, which is like education in this sense.

As far as getting hung up on it, what I'm trying to say is I never really met a Korean practitioner that does get hung up on it so again you made my point LOL. It just seems to be perceived differently and is very common, so that was my point. The article is still a very good read and I can absolutely understand his view his view for the most part was one of the biggest respects to martial arts is humility and calling oneself a master is not humble, I can really understand his perspective however it's never been an issue for me and it's just a title

stonecrusher69
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: MCM WING CHUN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
stonecrusher69 wrote:
If martial arts where taught say an accredited university level then you could offer a master title but there is no univeral standard so IMO the title means very little. You have many organization an all of them have different requirements. Perhaps you could offer a title of master to someone who has been training and teaching for say 40 years. The title would mean a dedication and lifetime of training. At least this would eliminate the so called master with a few years trainings and weed out the snake oil salemen.

To the bold type above...

Shall I dare say...

Proof is on the floor!!

I like that " proof is on the floor " We have a saying in our school.." Hands don't lie"

"When the student is ready the master will appear"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Duncan0013
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Yoso Te

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

To me, a master is similar to what some have said comparing it to a Master's Degree, but there is more to it than just education. The learning and perfection of a technique will make you very skilled at that technique, however, can it be delivered in the proper time and place? Can it be controlled to cause a specific amount of harm to an attacker that justifies the initial attack?

What I am getting at is that one can learn and perfect a punch, but that does not mean they will have the ability to decide in a millisecond whether or not they need to simply stun an attacker or shatter their jaw. Mastery, to me, is having the knowledge, training, practice, and also the split second decisiveness to determine the correct course of action in any encounter. Nevermind, that I didn't even bring up the ability to split second decide if the punch is even necessary or can the encounter be absolved without the punch...

My thoughts on this. Great topic, folks! I have met many people that claim mastery of their style or system.... some good, some excellent, some iffy.

Cheers

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncan0013 wrote:
Greetings,

To me, a master is similar to what some have said comparing it to a Master's Degree, but there is more to it than just education. The learning and perfection of a technique will make you very skilled at that technique, however, can it be delivered in the proper time and place? Can it be controlled to cause a specific amount of harm to an attacker that justifies the initial attack?

What I am getting at is that one can learn and perfect a punch, but that does not mean they will have the ability to decide in a millisecond whether or not they need to simply stun an attacker or shatter their jaw. Mastery, to me, is having the knowledge, training, practice, and also the split second decisiveness to determine the correct course of action in any encounter. Nevermind, that I didn't even bring up the ability to split second decide if the punch is even necessary or can the encounter be absolved without the punch...

My thoughts on this. Great topic, folks! I have met many people that claim mastery of their style or system.... some good, some excellent, some iffy.

Cheers

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

Solid post!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A master in martial arts is one that has mastered himself or herself in the chosen art and no longer is considered at student but has instead become a teacher, guide or example for others to follow.

stonecrusher69
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: MCM WING CHUN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titanium wrote:
I am a master...

Seriously; it is skill, age and contributions which form a master.

Well you might be a master but here your still a blue belt

"When the student is ready the master will appear"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: