Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LastKing
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Freestyle karate, kickboxing, tai chi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: What's your criteria for black belt? Reply with quote

I know a black belt is just a term, but for good or bad, it's seen as the point at which a practitioner has, for want of a better term, made it in their chosen martial art.
So, without getting into the rights and wrongs of that, what's your criteria for reaching black?
If it had to be one thing, what would it be - faultless kata, the ability to defend yourself, knowledge of the syllabus, history of your art, sheer determination and commitment? I know it's tempting to say all these things, but if told that stranger A is a black belt in, say, karate, for me my gut reaction would be he/she must be a good fighter then, not oh, they must be really good at kata. But I know someone who thinks it should reflect sheer dedication, not ability.
Just interested.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, a black belt is similar to a bachelor's degree. If you're focused, it should take around 3-5 years to EARN. Upon receiving it, you should be a better, more well-rounded person - so sparring, forms, discipline, technique and behavior should all be part of your testing. Completing a black belt signifies that you're ready to continue on training in that style, honing your skills, and also ready to start teaching (to an extent.)

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working towards a black belt in karate kickboxing base. The criteria is extremely simple. That is the proper execution of techniques as efficient as possible.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIME!!

If ones not willing to put forward the necessary time, whatever that might be, required, then their MA betterment is an illusion, at best.

I could list a list of criteria, but for me, time is paramount!! Time equals in achieving effective knowledge and experience. Don't chase rank!!

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Good question.

For me, a black belt should understand core principles and be able to put them together instinctively.

If I were to pick one thing, that would be it.

We all know that martial art is about getting maximum result for minimum work. That's where principles rather than techniques come in. I think techniques are just example applications of principles. We practice throwing roundhouse kicks to the jaw line. That is a technique. Not everyone can do it, and even those that can, can't do it in all circumstances. But it covers many principles. Target selection for maximum effect, balance, footwork, positioning, hip rotation for power etc etc.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First the student must have a physical ability to do the technique. They don't have to win every match but they should be able to defend their life if needed.

Second their has to be a working knowledge of the the how and why. This makes the physical possible if the student is older or something

Third as stated above time. The person can't be given it but must put in hours of sweat and study. Hard work and desire can make up for the first two.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If "physical ability" is the primary limiting factor, then should these folks not have black belts?

https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/wheelchair-bound-karateka-a-world-champ-285529

https://www.transfermaster.com/blog/view-post/Disabled-Man-Black-Belt

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2187522/Man-paralysed-waist-martial-arts-instructor--gaining-black-belt-kickboxing.html

This isn't meant to be a judgmental question. Your school, your rules. Personally, I would be willing to meet a student where they're at to give them a shot. Those with significant limitations can be the best, most rewarding students.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
If "physical ability" is the primary limiting factor, then should these folks not have black belts?

https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/wheelchair-bound-karateka-a-world-champ-285529

https://www.transfermaster.com/blog/view-post/Disabled-Man-Black-Belt

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2187522/Man-paralysed-waist-martial-arts-instructor--gaining-black-belt-kickboxing.html

This isn't meant to be a judgmental question. Your school, your rules. Personally, I would be willing to meet a student where they're at to give them a shot. Those with significant limitations can be the best, most rewarding students.

Physical ability is extremely important. A black belt should have the same prestige as a title belt in boxing. If you lower the standard to make someone feel better you are diminishing what it means to be a black belt. That being said if a person can perform all the moves with a disability that's fine. Like if there is a karatek with prosthetic limbs that's cool because the end result is the same formidable force being exerted as a regular karateka. But the wheelchair one does not make sense because the body mechanics are no longer karate.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every student should be allowed the same opportunities as the other students no matter their limitations.

If this saying is true, and meant to be of value, then live up to it. If not, then nothings of any significant value...

"The Black Belt Mind"

We, here at KF, are always saying that the belt doesn’t prove that you have skills or that you are the greater person. It is the mindset that you portray in having that belt, whatever belt it may be. White or black, having the mindset and attitude is the main reason why you deserve the belt.

Most important is that those MAist with physical limitations are protected by Law in the USA, the American Disabilities Act of 1990...

"The ADA is a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities in all areas of public life, including jobs, schools, transportation, and all public and private places that are open to the general public. The purpose of the law is to make sure that people with disabilities have the same rights and opportunities as everyone else. The ADA gives civil rights protections to individuals with disabilities similar to those provided to individuals on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, and religion. It guarantees equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities in public accommodations, employment, transportation, state and local government services, and telecommunications. The ADA is divided into five titles (or sections) that relate to different areas of public life." Referenced from...

https://adata.org/learn-about-ada

I've been fortunate enough to have awarded a handful of disabled students to Shodan, and 2 to Nidan and 5 to Sandan. It's not what they lack, it's what they posses that counts because in my eyes they don't lack anything.

Just who are we to say that those with disabilities are less worthy than we are who've no disabilities, especially in the MA?!!?! Again, the search should never be about rank, but of effective knowledge and experience.

Imho!!

Last edited by sensei8 on Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Every student should be allowed the same opportunities as the other students no matter their limitations.

If this saying is true, and meant to be of value, then live up to it. If not, then nothings of any significant value...

"The Black Belt Mind"

We, here at KF, are always saying that he belt doesn’t prove that you have skills or that you are the greater person. It is the mindset that you portray in having that belt, whatever belt it may be. White or black, having the mindset and attitude is the main reason why you deserve the belt.

Most important is that those MAist with physical limitations are protected by Law in the USA, the American Disabilities Act of 1990...

"The ADA is a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities in all areas of public life, including jobs, schools, transportation, and all public and private places that are open to the general public. The purpose of the law is to make sure that people with disabilities have the same rights and opportunities as everyone else. The ADA gives civil rights protections to individuals with disabilities similar to those provided to individuals on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, and religion. It guarantees equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities in public accommodations, employment, transportation, state and local government services, and telecommunications. The ADA is divided into five titles (or sections) that relate to different areas of public life." Referenced from...

https://adata.org/learn-about-ada

I've been fortunate enough to have awarded a handful of disabled students to Shodan, and 2 to Nidan and 5 to Sandan. It's not what they lack, it's what they posses that counts because in my eyes they don't lack anything.

Just who are we to say that those with disabilities are less worthy than we are who've no disabilities, especially in the MA?!!?! Again, the search should never be about rank, but of effective knowledge and experience.

Imho!!

In this case if a student has a limitation with using their legs. Would the focus be more on joint locking and hand techniques? I ask because soon I will be helping my instructor with teaching but I have to be careful here. Like I don't want to impose some generic skill set and saying it's either done like that or your not qualified. On the other hand you can have a person with one healthy hand and that hand can be capable of destructive power. This will compensate for their handicap.

My biggest fear would be is of I give the student false confidence. This would probably haunt me for life. But at the same time a person's sincere effort as well as dedication should be acknowledge since it is a winning trait and one that is becoming rare.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: