Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

xtremartialarts1
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: tkd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If his parent is there, maybe just quick off to the side say "I know that you know what your doing but your starting to disrupt my class so can you please stop?" If his parent isn't there, I would come down hard on him. But you have to do it very quickly as not to totally humiliate him in front of the students. The worst thing you can do is humiliate a student. Look him right in the eye and say very seriously "(name), if you talk again I'm gunna have to sit you out." Don't smile, show him that your serious. That will gain respect hopefully from him and the other students- it will also show the people watcing that you have things under controll.

DeeLovesKarate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan, EFK, Brazillian Jujitsu, and Tae-bo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'd have given him a warning and then sat him down and let him watch silently. After you finish a few forms go over to him and have a quiet conversation with him and ask him if he can manage to finish the class and raise his hand before speaking. if not leave him there and talk to his parent. depending on how old he is. if hes above like year 6 then just threaten to kick him out.

June1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sensei gives warnings and uses baseball terminology (3 strikes and you're out!). When he did this last time, the kid kind of smiled and Sensei asked, "Do I look like I'm joking?" He was serious and really starting to get ticked off. The kid must have been about 8 or 9. I think his dad was there too.

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems whatsoever in having a kid that's misbehaving sit out for a few minutes...an hour...or the whole class. Frequent problems with the kid and I will talk to the parents about it. If the problem persists, after several warnings...I will kick the kid out of my class.

Same goes with adults, but I don't make them sit out. I just talk to them, warn them..then boot them. I don't have the time or patience to waste with people that aren't there to learn. I'd rather have 3 good, serious students that want to be there, than 50 that are wasting my time.

Maybe that's why I'm so broke all of the time!

Grenadier
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what your rank is, if you are teaching the class, then you are essentially the acting Sempai / Senpai, and should be treated with the same respect.

If the problem causing child gets that frisky, then I would suggest first speaking to him in a serious tone. No need to say anything derogatory, but he does need a firm (but polite) reminder that you are the one in charge, and that he is expected to show respect.

If he continues, then assign him pushups, or make him sit in seiza for an extended period of time. If he still doesn't listen, simply ask him to leave, and to come back when he's ready to properly train.

If need be, take him aside, and have a blunt chat with him.

Further problems should be taken up with your sensei / shihan, since sometimes it might take someone with the perceived authority to drill the principles of courtesy into his head. If things have to go that far, though, usually, the student is given an ultimatum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: