Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Which mat company and what kind of subfloor? Reply with quote

Please help… driving myself nuts over this. I’m looking to protect my students as much as possible from the throws/takedowns we practice, without compromising our kata practice and other standup training. Pricing is not an issue, I WANT to invest a lot of money into this part.

Fuji Mats
Century Mats
Dollamur Mats

Which company do you go with?

1.5inch or 2inch mats?

What kind of subfloor is most worth my investment?

Spring floor system - worth it or no? If yes, will it last very long?

Details on the training we do…
Shorin Ryu (Matsubayashi) dojo that emphasizes kata and kata application. We’ll also be running, jumping, pivoting, breakfalling, sliding, etc... Practicing throws/takedowns are definitely part of the curriculum, though not the focus.

Please help. I’d really appreciate your opinions. What would you install for your dream dojo? Thank you!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuji Mats and Subflooring!!

I choose Fuji because their Tatami mats have that high quality to them. Their Tatami Mat Kit prices are dependent on size of the area to be covered...the bigger the area, the bigger the costs...$1K to $4K. Tatami mats, in general, are both expensive and traditional, if wanting a more traditional look and appeal.

Now, Tatami Mats come in a variety of different colors, Fuji is no exception to that rule, as well as patterns. if someone's to take a tiny step away from the traditional look. Of course, they come in different sizes and thicknesses. I went with 2 inches because in my mind, I want a ton of cushions whenever I literally hit the mats, and that extra half-an-inch gives me some piece of mind, subfloor or not.

Personally, I've tried a vast variety of mats, but whenever I finally decided to go with Tatami mats, I really understood why our Soke covered the majority of the training areas at out Hombu with them.

As far as subflooring goes, I'd stay with the spring subfloor. So, if Fuji is the rage of the page, you can do all of your mat shopping at one location...Fuji...for example. Fuji has both available, Tatami Mats AND the Subfloor. Whatever the subflooring, get the underlayment pads...2 layers at least.

How long does the subflooring last?? 5 plus years, easily. There are many factors to consider for that concern, for example, is your dojo full time or part time?? Wear and tear affect anything over time, moisture is the worst thing for any subfloor, even in a dojo.

My very first subfloor was me covering the training area with old tires underneath 1" plywood sheets, then my mats right over the subfloor. Crude, but effective back in the day. At first, that subflooring was in another room, but once we saw how much of a positive impact it made, I covered the main training floor with that crude subfloor. For grins and giggles, I'd go with the thickest mat known to mankind if a spring subfloor isn't possible.

My dojo donned Fuji 2-inch Tatami Mats, with 2 layers of underlaying mats, and Fuji subflooring system. Once of the best investments I ever made.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sensei8!

Do you think I could get away with just 2inch mats and nothing underneath? For my space, I’m thinking I’d save a considerable amount of money if I just get a crash pad. Also, nothing underneath makes easier cleaning, right?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through AK Athletics to purchase some wrestling mats for our department for DT training. You should look at them, and see if they have what you're looking for.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scohen0300 wrote:
Thank you sensei8!

Do you think I could get away with just 2inch mats and nothing underneath? For my space, I’m thinking I’d save a considerable amount of money if I just get a crash pad. Also, nothing underneath makes easier cleaning, right?

Yes. You can get away with just 2-inch mats. Btw, there's no cleaning under a subfloor unless one just wants to, and subfloors are very affordable.

Just 1 crash pad? At 5'X8' that means taking turns. Yet, crash pads can be quite costly at $350 to $550 each. Like you said, crash pads stacked to the side oit of the way does make cleaning easier.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: