Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jdash
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Which style to start for kids (or kids and parents)? Reply with quote

Hey everyone, so I remember taking martial arts back in middle school and while it's been almost 20 years since I did study I still remember the discipline and focus it helped me develop.

I've now got kids of my own, and my 7 year old son could really use an outlet for physical energy and working on his ability to focus. My wife and I have been chatting about getting him into some kids classes, and I've batted the idea around of getting back into it myself. There is this school: https://kickconnection.com close to our house that I saw, but I figured if we're going to do this, I might as well actually really think about what's the right options for both my son and I.

Thoughts?

All that said too... 20 YEARS! Congratulations to everyone who has made this forum what it is over the last two decades, what an incredible accomplishment.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, cool to see a member from the beginning!

As far as choosing a style for your kids goes, I'm biased, but find TKD to be a great style for kids to practice. However, I wouldn't rule out any other styles. Also, it's easy to find an MA kids program; most schools run them. But check around at other schools, even if they don't offer a "kids program." You might find an instructor that doesn't focus on kids, but has a great approach to teaching them and making classes fun for them. It might also be a great instructor for you to learn from.

If you are interested in other options in which you yourself might not be able to train, there are some great local Kid's Wrestling programs out there, and Wrestling is a fantastic sport for kids to get into. It's great for teaching them accountability, and for encouraging them to put the most into their training.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judo!!

Many fights end up on the ground, and if the ground is alien, then stay on your feet as long as you can. What do you mean to stay on my feet? Fight someone who lives on the ground, then, leave quietly because the grounds man/woman will get you on the ground!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I think it'll be less about the style and more about the instructor and school atmosphere. Your son is relatively young and any training is going to build gross motor skills above all.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
To be honest I think it'll be less about the style and more about the instructor and school atmosphere. Your son is relatively young and any training is going to build gross motor skills above all.

Solid post!!

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest checking what schools are available at reasonable distance from your home. And if they offer free classes go and see how it goes. You might find some info on specific schools on the net.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevinyrral wrote:
I would suggest checking what schools are available at reasonable distance from your home. And if they offer free classes go and see how it goes. You might find some info on specific schools on the net.

Agreed. Always, always, always ask to watch a class. If they don't allow you to, I think this sends up a red flag, and makes the decision process easier.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Nevinyrral wrote:

Agreed. Always, always, always ask to watch a class. If they don't allow you to, I think this sends up a red flag, and makes the decision process easier.

And not just one class!! Watch many. Watch kids classes and adult classes for both the Kyu and Dan ranks.

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For striking fundamentals I would personally get my kids Karate/TKD and Judo/Bjj for grappling. I would also encourage wrestling in high school and MT/boxing when they are matured.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: