Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

melfi28
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Small Circle Jujitsu, Isshinryu Karate, Taekwondo, Krav Maga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee
Chuck Norris
Jackie Chan
Miyamoto Musashi
Tony Jaa
Wally Jay - creator of Small Circle Jujitsu
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

weberje030916
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee- big influence when I was a child

Tony Blauer- his scientific and researched approach brought concepts that were so 'common sense' but still blew my mind.

Matthias
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: I've studied four of them, would like to study a fifth but its not taught in my area. I'm into whatever works for me really.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Norris more for his outspoken commitment to Jesus Christ and Evangelical Christianity and his Kickstart youth karate programs than his martial arts prowess. True, he was six time world champion in professional karate, but to be honest, I was never all that impressed with his speed.

Bruce Lee because of his awesome ability.

Sijo John N. Beall because he's such a class act and a very outstanding Wing Chun practitioner and teacher.

Tom Laughlin, because his movie "Billy Jack" really inspired me. I know somebody else did all the high kicks, but Laughlin was the writer, director and star of the movie and did some competent hapkido in it.

Jackie Chan because he brought comedy into martial arts movies and his amazing ability in movement.

dwarf2
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masahiko Kimura- Yang luchan -yip man -farmer burns. Not do i find them great but, i find there lives interesting, unique.

StrangeBacon
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shinkido-Tai Karate, Aikido, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above all, my Sensei, he's helped me through some increadibly hard times in my life and helped shape me into the man i am today, i'd go as far to say theres no one (apart from family) that i respect as much as that man.

Other martial artists include:

Jean Claude Van Damme, not only because i love his movies but because he proved how good a fighter he is with his full contact fights under his real name Van Varenburg, only loss he really had was a TKO if i remember rightly, the rest were wins with predominantly first round knockouts. Plus, he's a really nice guy and my inspiration for hours of pain aquiring the side splits.

Scott Adkins, not only an increadibly fast fighter but a phenomenal athlete, gymnast and stuntman as well, those who dont know who he is, he played Uri Boyka in Undisputed 2&3.

Last but not least i'd say Michael Jai White, one of my favourite actors and a pure beast of a man, started karate aged 7, now 42 with black belts in 7 different styles and a successful career in hollywood, not only an inspirational martial artist but an inspirational man in general.

Obviously Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan are up there but those were the obvious choices, i thought id elaborate on some of my other heroes.

"Seek peace in every moment, yet be prepared to defend your very being"

"Does the river dwell on how long it will take to become the ocean..." - Sensei Bruce Payne

www.shinkido.co.uk

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee
Jackie Chan
Jet Li

Kensei723
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shinkendo, Hyoho Niten Ichi-Ryu, GFT (Ground Fighting Techniques), and a little Tae kwon-do

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Miyamoto Musashi
2. Bruce Lee
3. Chuck Norris
4. Jackie Chan
5. Last but not least, my dad who supported me and trained me from my early years
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit.” - Miyamoto Musashi

Why is the sky blue? Because God loves the infantry! Why does God love the infantry? Because we get to Heaven first!

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ Judo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUIZ PALHARES!!!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="StrangeBacon"]Jean Claude Van Damme, not only because i love his movies but because he proved how good a fighter he is with his full contact fights under his real name Van Varenburg, only loss he really had was a TKO if i remember rightly, the rest were wins with predominantly first round knockouts. Plus, he's a really nice guy and my inspiration for hours of pain aquiring the side splits. :lol:quote]

This is interesting. I have never heard this about Van Damme. I always was under the impression that he never competed in anything like full contact. Can you point me to this information?

[quote="JiuJitsuNation"]LUIZ PALHARES!!!![quote]

Who is this? I imagine a BJJ stylists, but I have not heard the name.

wolverine uskf
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: kick boxing and submission wrestling

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mas Oyama- for creating kyokushin under impossible conditions.

Robert Fabrey- the man who taught the men who taught me my first martial art, and did all of our testings at his main school. I'm admiting my stupidity because i don't know if shorinji kempo was created from kyokushin and judo, but thats how he taught it, and i loved it.

Chuck Norris- i like his movies and tv show, but i just read 2 of his books, and his ability to over come any obstacle, and his work with kids from all levels of society put him way up in my eye's.

Bruce Lee- not for his movies, but for his courage to go against tradition, and create an art that changed what he felt was wrong with the traditional arts.

Jackie Chan- because he makes the martial arts fun to watch for everyone even if they aren't martial arts fans.

Jet Li- for making fighting with 1 hand look doable in cradle to the grave, and thats important to me with a bad arm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: