Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: WHO: global status report on violence prevention Reply with quote

http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/violence/status_report/2014/en/
Full report and chapters
Country profiles

The World Health Organization has just released a report on interpersonal violence which details types of violence experience from country to country, the risks, and what each country is doing to minimize this.

Considering that this report takes into account violence between family members, partners, friends, acquaintances and strangers there are some interesting statistics:

- Males account for 82% of all homicide victims and have estimated rates of homicide that are more than four times those of females (10.8 and 2.5, respectively, per 100 000). The highest estimated rates of homicide in the world are found among males aged 15–29 years (18.2 per 100 000), followed closely by males aged 30–44 years (15.7 per 100 000). Estimated rates of homicide among females range from 1.2 per 100 000 in ages 5–14 years, to 3.2 per 100 000 in the age group 15–29 years.
- Approximately one in every two homicides is committed with a firearm, and one in four with a sharp instrument such as a knife (see Figure 2), although the mechanism of homicide varies markedly by region.
- In 2013 WHO and others estimated that as many as 38% of female homicides globally were committed by male partners while the corresponding figure for men was 6%.
- Globally, an estimated 42% of women who have been physically and/or sexually abused by a partner have experienced injuries as a result of that violence. Blunt-force injuries by an intimate partner are most commonly inflicted on the head, face and neck, followed by musculoskeletal and genital injuries.

Note that this report specifically excludes self-directed violence (suicidal behaviour and self-mutilation) and collective violence (violence inflicted by larger groups such as nation states, militia groups and terrorist organizations in order to achieve political, economic or social objectives).

It seems that when we discuss self defense we often gear it towards encounters with strangers, e.g. don't go to high risk areas, what to do when attacked by multiple attackers etc. however from the report the vast amount of violence is inflicted by people we already know. Males also seem to be at greater (serious) risk yet often we focus on female self defense courses.

It is also interesting to read the different data on each country. For example, in the UK: 40% of homicides were by sharp force (i.e. stabbing) and only 8% were firearm related. Compare that to the USA and the numbers reverse: 68% are due to firearms and 11% by sharp force. Should I then, as a UK citizen tailor my self defense training to cater more for stabbing than for firearm defense and should an American martial artists spend more time on methods to respond to gun violence. I wonder how many of us actually tailor our training in this way rather than follow an international curriculum?

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this, Danielle. I think the questions you raise, regarding curriculum adjustments to reflect this data, are really smart. It only makes sense to tailor your curriculum to the reality of your surroundings. Which isn't to say that you should ignore the opposite, because you might travel internationally. But as far as a focus.

Really interesting data.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
Thank you for sharing this, Danielle. I think the questions you raise, regarding curriculum adjustments to reflect this data, are really smart. It only makes sense to tailor your curriculum to the reality of your surroundings. Which isn't to say that you should ignore the opposite, because you might travel internationally. But as far as a focus.

Really interesting data.

Patrick

I wholeheartedly concur!! Thank you, Danielle, for sharing!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:

Really interesting data.

Patrick

Thanks.

It's a shame the report doesn't go into greater detail on some of the statistics as I'm guessing there would be a lot we could learn. It would be interesting for example to see the data with say inter-gang related violence eliminated as I would imagine this accounts for a significant part of the weapon violence.

I couldn't find the equivalent for men in the report, but the statement that for women a lot of injuries inflicted are to the head, face and neck would lead me to believe we ought to concentrate on covering up and protecting that part rather than lots of escapes from wrist grabs etc. that people like to focus on.

Given that a lot of violence is between people we know like family members and people we know I guess this would strengthen the case for grappling arts like Judo and BJJ. Although not always the case, a violent outburst could be a one-off due to drink, drugs or some other factor and we might not necessarily want to hurt the person, just restrain them. Multiple attacker scenarios are also not as high a priority.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great thread, and you raise some really good point, Danielle, especially in the training focus areas.

You mention the statistical differences between the US and UK in regards to knife and gun attacks. I'm sure that has to do with the gun laws of each country, too.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
This is a great thread, and you raise some really good point, Danielle, especially in the training focus areas.

You mention the statistical differences between the US and UK in regards to knife and gun attacks. I'm sure that has to do with the gun laws of each country, too.

That was my guess as well. For all of the countries where heavy gun laws are in place, knife crime take more of a share. Whilst it's not impossible to own a gun in the UK (handguns for sport or shotguns/rifles etc.) it would be more difficult to get hold of one in comparison to knives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: