Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I agree that if it's a 40 hour a week experience than charging to make money isn't a bad thing. However, I don't know of any clubs (with the exception of a few that do nothing but train for trounaments) that do that.

I'm a bit biased because of the philosophy of my sensei, but I find it a better experience to be learning out of a local community center or high school and only worrying about how much the rent will be.

thekuntawman
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: typhoon kuntaw, gatdula fighting eskrima, gatdula kuntaw, jow ga kung fu

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have owned my school since 1993, when i was still in college. i used my scholarship money to open it, and i never closed my original school. we do not accept small children (in my school here in cali the youngest i have is 12) and we are a very traditional school. i dont accept the idea that you have to do anything less than exactly what you want in a school to be successful. if you are unique, than its better for you because you have very little competition.

in my school we teach philippine kuntaw and eskrima and kung fu. i teach each class separately. i am also a full time teacher.

my advice to you is to always find a way to make your money with the martial arts, so you can always focus to make your school stronger. some of the things i do (when i need money):

1. sell equipment. my mom sends me equipment from the philippines, and i sell some to my students very cheaply, but i sell at a higher price to other instructors, directly to there schools or at a booth in tournaments. once my mom sent me some live muay thai fights on video, and i got rich from it!

i have to go, i will post more later.

thekuntawman
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: typhoon kuntaw, gatdula fighting eskrima, gatdula kuntaw, jow ga kung fu

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. throw a tournament. it doesnt have to be a big one, but invite a few instructors and there students to your place, and charge $15 or 20 bucks, and offer free food. with 30 people, minus food you should have about 300-400 dollars left over. videotape it.

3. you can buy the whole rack of sweatsuits/warm up suits at a discount store, bargain with an embroidery place for your school name and logo, and sell the suits in your school. they look good when everyone is wearing the same thing, and its free advertising.

4. flyers. 2 hours a day in a neighborhood is better than a part time job that takes away from your school. you increase enrollment and give your school the attention it needs.

5. (only if you are confident enough) bounce in night club or bars. i have two clubs in my town i bounce for, and i supply two for one, and 6 for another. i get a flat fee, and my young students get a cool part time job to met girls. plus is good advertising for the school.

6. whenever you travel look in the phone book for martial arts schools. i have found a couple friends that way, and i can make a few dollars guest teaching while i am away. you also get more people to know who you are that way.

7. if you are good enough, when you travel you can almost always find a tournament that offers money. i am a pretty good point fighter, and even small tournaments offer a money prize. plus its fun, and you can build your reputation.

8. satellite classes. i advertise martial arts in four cities less than 100 miles from my home. some people come to visit me once or two times a month, and i have three locations where i travel to them once a month (or two). a park is always available and its free. plus outside training is good advertising. during the summer, i get about 20 to thirty extra students this way, and everybody pays 60 to 100 a month.

9. private instruction. when you put out the word, you might get one or two students. they learn one on one, and pay by the hour. its a good way to fill your daytime, when nothings going on.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice Kuntawman!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

jushin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, yaw yan, bando and shootboxing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my own school. I try to be serious and fun at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

TJA
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Aikijutsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Very Objectional responses Reply with quote

Firstly - I would like to say this thread has been entertaining and educational, it's nice to see peoples opinions heard/taken with respect.

I have to admit - I'm in the mist of preparing my buisness plan to open up a school here in New York and I do want to do this as a fulltime buisness eventually, but being a family man - it's really tough. So part-time it will be.

I don't think it's a shame or and issue for an instructor to get paid for teaching - if you feel you can offer a good product (insert your art here) and can benefit by profiting and changing the lives of others then I'm not sure why others see this as taking away from the art.

We live in a society fueled by money. If you have a rich relative who wants to adopt another family let me know!!!!!lol..

I love the martial arts - my greatest feeling is seeing how teaching the arts can change someone's entire mind set - I mean let's take a look at it this way- there are many places you go and deal with other people - total strangers - In the Dojo, you will meet new people total strangers and eventually - give them ur time and bodies to make u a better person and martial artist- that's one of the greatest feelings - personally I have encountered

(Rambling)
I'm always learning something new from someone else - be it technique from another system - or how to deal with a parent whose child has a learning disorder.

Remember - Those of us whom have made the "Self Sacrifice" and "Accomplishment" to become Black Belts and Instructors did so for a reason. Along the way the reasons have changed and matured - whehter it be - I wanted to be like that guy "Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Tito Ortiz, Benny the Jet, Chuck Norris, or ur local/first Instructor in the arts and not be bullied - to win a trophy - to gain respect - whatever the case may have been.
(End Rambling)

We all wanted to be part of something. So what if their are hundreds of so-called "McDojos" out there does that mean if I open mine will it be considered one - because it's for profit?!?!? I've always paid for my training coming up through the ranks - but I was lucky enough to have not had to pay for all my belt rankings - Persoanally, I think you should not but I always heard of others having to pay for their promotions/ranks - anywhere between 10 to 100 dollars - does this make them a "McDojo"! or is it just smart buisness -

Bottom line - I think it's just the way you look at the cup - half full or half empty.

Just my 2cents
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: