Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

judobrah
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: why did people lost respect for taekwondo Reply with quote

first i must say that i have never done taekwondo,here in portugal schools are usually more legit but i whant to discuss why did tkd "lost" his value in the view of many people,and how efective can it really be as a combat sport,there was a place when they taught taekwondo but it was highly expensive and since the instructor was asking to much money he got fired

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one who hasn't lost value in TKD. I've observed, trained, and learned from some the greatest, imho, TKD practitioners. GM Young Ik Suh was the most amazing TKD instructor/practitioner that I've ever seen, and I was also taught by him as well.

Most styles of the MA uses some value when one would be observing a TKD tournament. However, I sure wouldn't want to drop my guard around a TKD practitioner. Not from what I've seen first hand.

Brain has one of the most powerful and gracious high roundhouse kicks that I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty...Brian's TKD. Excellent hip actions; Brian known exactly when to activate the hips, no sooner and no later; right on time, everytime!!

I've nothing but respect for any and every TKD practitioner.

Last edited by sensei8 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem is the sport and part of the problem is the politics.

Sport because (esp. with those who train just for the Olympics) has taken away from the martial side of it. Its just a game of tag, albeit a hard game.

And politics because there is sooooo much bickering between and within organisations that few people focus on the TKD itself and the art is getting lost beneath all the alliances and power struggles.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because there are a lot... and I mean a LOT.. of really bad TKD schools. There's a thread on it in the.. KMA forum, I think.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero and DWx both make valid points. When there are as many TKD schools out there as there are, there tend to be bad ones that slip through. Instuctors like to make money, and send out others that aren't ready to teach, and quality starts slipping.

However, there are good ones out there, just like with any style. If you do your research, you can find the good ones.

Thanks for the kind words, Bob. I appreciate them.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKD is super popular in America because it's fun, it's athletic and it's not as high impact as other systems. Because of that, there are a good deal of really bad schools of TKD, and for every bad TKD school, there has to be two good ones to outweigh it. This situation would be the same if there were as many Shorin Ryu or Shaolin Kung Fu schools, but unfortunately the burden seems to fall to TKD.

That being said, TKD is an excellent system, and even though I have never taken it, I would defend it if the school were a good one. Also, just because the instructor is bad, doesn't mean that the student has to be and vice versa. Your training and skill in any art depends on you, and how you train.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

quinteros1963
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Martial Arts (Goju Ryu & Shotokan)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Part of the problem is the sport and part of the problem is the politics.

Sport because (esp. with those who train just for the Olympics) has taken away from the martial side of it. Its just a game of tag, albeit a hard game.

And politics because there is sooooo much bickering between and within organisations that few people focus on the TKD itself and the art is getting lost beneath all the alliances and power struggles.

I agree 100% and would add that its been (in some cases)watered down. It has to be when I regularly meet and observe nine and ten year old black belts (some are even second dan). Like anything else there is good and not so good. TKD is probably the most popular martial art in the US. Most people I know outside of MA refer to karate as TKD.

Respect
The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, martial artists who bash other styles contribute to the problem. The court of public opinion is manytimes based on heresay and not facts or experience.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

judobrah
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
Because there are a lot... and I mean a LOT.. of really bad TKD schools. There's a thread on it in the.. KMA forum, I think.
link?

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

judobrah wrote:
link?
http://www.karateforums.com/tkd-rant-vt41431.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: