Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still think there is a lot of confusion about what hard/soft martial arts mean...

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
any martial art can be both soft and hard, depends on how you play it.

What does this mean? How you play it. Muay Thai can be soft? I don't think that's what Soft and Hard mean.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Sho-ju
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Karate, judo and jujitsu.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do guys in wing chun hit hard? I don't mean to offend anyone, but I've had wing chun guys come to my dojo and try full contact karate and they usally don't do well. It could be they are not well versed in the style or the style they know is watered down. They are fast, very fast punchers but not very hard punchers.

massa
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started wing chun 2 weeks ago and i was very happy about the art, but yesterday, I enter in many pages on the net and they all trash the wing chun .
i saw 3 videos showing wing chun guys having their * being kick by others martial arts.

i skip the last class because i was desapointed , i thought that maybe the wing chun wasnt all that i thought.

obs:
im a fan of martial arts, and i read alot about over 50 arts

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wing chun has its good points and wing chun has its bad points.

it isn't for everybody and there are no short cuts to good results. just learning the forms will get you nowhere but just learning hard techniques will also get you nowhere.

as for the guys who go in to try full contact karate, it's an interesting story. please tell more.

Metsubushi
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is wrong shotokan is fast just takes longer to be faster if ure on a lowdown stance but you will ebcome very fast after practise its just natrel to to be faster if ure higher up

pvwingchun
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

massa

Don't dispair there is a lot of trashing going on in the Wing Chun world. Don't worry about those videos either, I am sure if you look hard enough you could find some with the opposite results. Who knows how good those guys were, plus they may tell you they are good when they are not. Give it a few months before you give it up. Give yourself a chance to learn a little before quitting. I was working with a student the other day who told me his head was going to explode because of all the info he was getting, I told him he has to look at it as a progression, that he needs to remember how much he knows compared to the average joe on the street.

Sho-Ju
That is surprising to me. As from the ground up stated I would like to hear more. Just knowing the forms is not enough you need to know how to apply them. While I have never sparred full contact karate I have sparred with some TKD guys and it was easy to neutralize them and make their kicks ineffective.

gunit
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There obsiously is a confusion in the term "hard" and "soft."
Hard tends to mean external training and force. Karate, taekwondo, and kickboxing are classifed under hard martial arts. Soft means internal force training, which of course involves the use of chi. Taijiquan, Baguazhang, and Hsing Yi are classified as "soft." Shaolin is classified as hard and soft. Actually, all great arts are classified as both, so therefore taijiquan and the other internal arts are classified as hard also.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the thing is, most arts teach circular movements to neutralise attacks and to dissiptate force.

correct me if i'm wrong but isn't that a classic hallmark of "soft styles".

in that respect all styles are soft.

i should add that i'm not a firm believer of chi and see it in terms of classic chinese martial arts theory...

Vyvial
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Moy Yat Ving Tsun Kung Fu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ving Tsun is considered faster than others in my opinion because we have Chi Sau reflex training. We are the only one who truly do it, mantis and tai chi push hands may look similar but the theories and energies are completly different. Chi Sau allows the Ving Tsun practioner to find every opening in an opponent's defense and our Siu Nim Tao training, if done correctly gives the ability to strike at any angle with out pulling back or telegraphing (Ging Lik Energy).

When you spar with a Ving Tsun practioner with any skill and knowledge of Siu Nim Tao and Chum Kiu, you will find that you cannot tell where their attacks are coming from. Our hands act on auto pilot, what ever happens happens. The attacks do not pull back in order to gain power because our power comes from our stance and we dominate the centerline with simultaneous attack and defense. Our stance is very mobile and should never be stationary. We're not faster, we just seem that way.

I don't mean to be rude but I have never seen a Japanese stylist give any student trouble in our Ving Tsun family. I do understand that there are a lot of poor WC instructors out there coming up with their own version of Wing Chun... and they have weak students. Also, when you see video or have young WC guys come around and try to workout, they are usually beginners with no understanding of the system. Most of us who have been around for a while got bored of beating up on other schools long ago.

Ving Tsun is limitless in it's application.

American Ving Tsun Kung Fu Academy
http://www.moyyat.net
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: