Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:13 am    Post subject: WKF Fees for Tournaments (Recent FB Post) Reply with quote

Recently on Facebook, the cost for the Elite Tournaments (Premiere League, A-Series etc) for entrants was released. most of the entry fees were approx 150Euro ($245aud or $161usd +/-) just for the tournaments themselves.

Yes I understand there are other costs factored in (Travel Expenses and Accommodation) to why people have caused a fuss.

But what erks me is how much of a privilege it is to 1 be on the National Team in ANY Sport, but also not understanding that it costs money to run such events. And Yes that a lot of countries may struggle to even compete because of the cost.

When I was a teenager i travelled to South Africa and the UK to play rugby as a schoolboy. The school didn't cover the costs of us going; it got us subsidised accommodation but certainly wasn't free. And I know how special it was just to go do that.

For me tournaments I enter vary from $75-100 AUD. With my most expensive tournament being $110 (+$15 for every additional event i enter).

Now for those who DO compete; how expensive is it for you to enter? but also if you do travel interstate for tournaments how expensive does it get?

For me the furthest from home I have competed has been in New South Wales; which is north of me in Victoria. But I made my time there worthwhile for not just competition but also to see family and also sight see.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tournament circuit that I compete in costs $50 for 2 events, $55 for 3. It's a smaller circuit made up of a decent number of schools within the DFW metroplex that I live in (which is not small at 9,286 square miles). There are other tournaments within DFW that are more expensive, ranging from $75 - $150 depending on who is running them. However, the average seems to be around the $50 - $60 USD range. I have personally never traveled to another state to do a tournament, but I don't run in tournaments like that. Local stuff is all I do.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've only ever paid around $50 for a tournament fee.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$161 USD to become a competitor at a MA tournament is insane. Yes, I do understand that it tales quite a lot to run a quality MA tournament, but it takes money to make money.

Like Brian, I've not paid over $50 for any MA tourney. Mostly because my MA tourney days are way far behind me. Offsetting expenses to run a MA tourney is surely a game of marbles.

During my MA tourney days, I only traveled mainly within California, with the occasion trips to Oregan, Nevada, and Arizona. California offered me the most available tourneys to join due to the size of CA, which there was never a shortage of MA tourneys to choose.

In my tourney days back in the 60's to 80's it wouldn't be a fair comparison of today's costs due to the drastic changes of cost of living across the board.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention insurance rates.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

Which can be way sky high or don't cover what one thought.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Which can be way sky high or don't cover what one thought.

I spoke to one of my friends who recently competed for Australia at a recent Youth Tournament.

Yes there is insurance for the event; but they were encouraged to get their own insurance prior to leaving to ensure coverage.

Especially for the kumite competitors; although there is some cheap options here in Australia that is not going to cost you an arm and a leg like it might in the US.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: