Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. I would keep training and learning but it would be great to never test again.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is training. Ranks and testing don’t really matter to those who train for themselves and their own personal advancement in martial arts. Not testing for rank doesn’t mean that one doesn’t continue to improve.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, Testing Cycles have been a means for the school to earn an income. Testing Cycles have been around for so long that they have become so ingrained in any MA school one wat or another. Therefore, testing is as common as breathing is.

Again, I would've never gave it a second thought of staying Shodan for the rest of my training days because my MA betterment is far more important than the seeking for ranks. The Testing Cycle has been around forever and a day whether there was any money attacked to it or not.

Testing Cycles are what they are and will continue on way past the time that we shuffle off our mortal coil.

Sailor Sindbad
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kobayashi Shorin-ryu, Shotokan, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aurik wrote:
Many people I have talked to, usually those outside the martial arts, see earning your black belt as the end of your MA journey.

And many people inside, as can be seen here in this thread. If they "don't care about rank," why did they wait until after making shodan first before deciding that?

I can see not wanting to make a grade that requires greater involvement than showing up to train x number of days per week like everybody else.

But staying a shodan for life in order to show off fake humility does the exact opposite of that.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor Sindbad wrote:
aurik wrote:
Many people I have talked to, usually those outside the martial arts, see earning your black belt as the end of your MA journey.

And many people inside, as can be seen here in this thread. If they "don't care about rank," why did they wait until after making shodan first before deciding that?

I can see not wanting to make a grade that requires greater involvement than showing up to train x number of days per week like everybody else.

But staying a shodan for life in order to show off fake humility does the exact opposite of that.

Solid post!!

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor Sindbad wrote:
aurik wrote:

Personally, I made the decision that I didn't care about rank as a brown belt, rather than after Shodan. I spent 6 years as a brown belt, and I had no complaints, because my late Sensei had no problem teaching you if you wanted to learn, regardless of rank. He did eventually insist I test, so I did, but mainly only because I love teaching, and I know that people want instructors to have a black belt. I think it's less about humility and more about a lack of interest in the testing process. I was more interested in training than testing--sort of like I have no interest in competition. I also see the value, though, so if someone I respect wants me to give it a go, I will. It's just not something I seek out, myself.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

LonestarCJ
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by LonestarCJ on Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LonestarCJ wrote:
I am learning why it is important to advance the belt rank. It helps Sensei as well as other students to evaluate for one. For two it is an incentive. I'm sure there are many other aspects will learn.

The (colored) belt ranks are an easily identifiable way of indicating what a student knows, is expected to know, and is expected to be ready to learn. This makes it easy to group students together to work on their rank-appropriate kata and drills. It also makes it easy for a higher-ranked student to determine at what level to train with the student. For example, when I'm training with a white belt, I'll take things much slower and more relaxed than I would with a brown belt. This is especially important in larger schools where you may not know all of the students by name and ability.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: