Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Dani_001

As someone who has trained almost exclusively under Okinawan Senseis, all of whom trained and taught martial art, not competition or sport; what you mention about the variety of kicks and their purpose is accurate.

In fact, when listening to any of the high ranking karateka or instructors there is a consensus that in the decades before 1945, Karate in Okinawa had only two kicks. So it is not just goju-ryu, but Shorin ryu, Uechi-ryu and everything else. Kata reflects this and, counting the total number of kicks of each type in all existing Shorin kata one finds a very high number of front kicks and a smaller number of stomping kicks aimed at one's own knee height.

The one thing that is not emphasized enough by most instructors is that despite the fact that kicks in karate were never intended to be aimed higher than the lower abdomen; strong, powerful kicks is very demanding on the legs and knees.

Therefore it is vital for karate to train strength, endurance and flexibility to the maximum degree. That is why having the flexibility and strength to kick high in training. Of course the same warning goes along with flexibility training as anything else. Anyone can do it with enough dedication, but it must be done slowly and gradually, never rushed.

Dani_001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Okinawa Goju-Ryu Karatedo Kyokai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much SM,

As an "old" Karateka, well, I'm still young, 31, but coming back to flexibility and those kinds of issues, I only restarted training this year, and although enthusiastic, you are correct in stating that one cannot simply climb back into high kicks. It's something that takes time. I would like to become a black belt as in yesterday already, but I need to work on the basics first, then move forward.

The main reason why I chose to go back to Karate as opposed to trying a new art was because I knew that I would take very long to reach my potential now in terms of flexibility and I can still reach a degree of strong self defense within Karate.

EDIT: I learnt that waza of mae geri from what Masanari Kikugawa Sensei of Okinawa Goju Ryu Karatedo Kyokai told my sensei at a seminar.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trained at a Ryu-Te Renmei dojo for a few months one summer (it was a temporary thing), which is/was Seiyu Oyata's system. The sensei had us practice high kicks, and even some jumping and spinning kicks during line drills. He always said "For flexibility and coordination practice only!" I think a kick to the ribs during kumite was considered a high kick.

Kicking high, jumping, spinning, etc. is great for practice. It develops strength, coordination, balance, flexibility, etc. If you can roundhouse kick someone of comparable height in the head relatively easily, my logic tells me your roundhouse to an opponent's thigh, knee, or lower leg is going to be a lot better.

The only way I'd kick an actual attacker above the waist is if I brought his head down. Doesn't mean I won't nor shouldn't try kicking as high as I can to improve physical attributes though.

pers
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never very supple naturally and back in the days had to work hard to be able to kick head high , but there were students who were naturally very supple from day 1 and could easily raise their legs up and high in a kick like a roundhouse but and a big but was they could hardly hit anyone with their pretty kick or even if they did it was not that effective .

There were some students specially females who could raise their leg high above their head in a warm up before the class and hold it up there with no difficulty and I used to envy them as I could never do it like they could ,but they could never really hit anyone with their kicks in kumite .

but there were people who could not kick high due to their body limitation or age but they could easily hit their opponent at mid or low section and if they wanted do real damage ,so they were much more effective than someone who could kick high but lacked the ability to catch someone or made an effective impact with it .

high kicks look spectacular and good for cameras and movies but in a real situation they are too risky to execute , rather kick low and learn how to deliver it to your target effectively in the rib area or lower limbs .

After all in a real situation you want to end the conflict quickly and effectively rather than try and kick someone in the head with not much impact which would make your opponent more angry and if he is any good or is experienced he may catch your leg or sweep your supporting leg and take you to the floor.

wildbourgman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my teen years I was fairly good at high kicks but now that I'm older I may have lost a bit of flexibility. Even with that I have periodically been known to perform head kicks while sparring. I don't why I can't seem to pull off the head kicks during fundamental training.

For instance I once performed a nice head kick to a higher ranking student after I accidently did a spinning back kick to his groin (my aim was for ribs). Head kicks are so easy when your opponent is grapping his crouch while on his knees crying. There was also the time I head kicked a real solid 8 year old green belt. That was a really proud feeling when his head gear went sideways. A few people let out a gasp after showing my athleticism, even his mom was screaming for me. Although I think I pulled my hamstring on that one.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildbourgman wrote:
In my teen years I was fairly good at high kicks but now that I'm older I may have lost a bit of flexibility. Even with that I have periodically been known to perform head kicks while sparring. I don't why I can't seem to pull off the head kicks during fundamental training.

For instance I once performed a nice head kick to a higher ranking student after I accidently did a spinning back kick to his groin (my aim was for ribs). Head kicks are so easy when your opponent is grapping his crouch while on his knees crying. There was also the time I head kicked a real solid 8 year old green belt. That was a really proud feeling when his head gear went sideways. A few people let out a gasp after showing my athleticism, even his mom was screaming for me. Although I think I pulled my hamstring on that one.

Hilarious!!!

Funny you mention, even though in a joking manner, being able to occasionally kick someone in the head. I can barely roundhouse and hook kick above my waist during kihon. In sparring, I've surprised myself and sparring partners by being able to kick them in the head. I was sparring a 13 year old that's just about my height a few months ago. I faked a low roundhouse and went high without touching back down. I thought I hit his glove, about shoulder height, but it was actually his helmet. My CI said "watch your head contact with the juniors." I asked the kid if it was his glove, and he shook his head no and pointed to his head. Good thing it was only a tap. I think.

No idea why I can kick that high in sparring and not during line drills. It's just like jumping - in high school I could touch the rim if I was going up for a rebound. If I tried to get the rim, I wouldn't come close.

brickshooter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not exclude high kicks in a fight. But I would use it to finish someone off rather than lead with it. This minimizes the risk I would take for using a high kick. I would hate to completely exclude any technique. They all have their uses. It is really a matter of time and place rather than the attack itself. For example, I do not practice foot stomps, nor ever seen one used in sparring. But on the street and in certain circumstances, I will use it.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
wildbourgman wrote:

Hilarious!!!

Funny you mention, even though in a joking manner, being able to occasionally kick someone in the head. I can barely roundhouse and hook kick above my waist during kihon. In sparring, I've surprised myself and sparring partners by being able to kick them in the head. I was sparring a 13 year old that's just about my height a few months ago. I faked a low roundhouse and went high without touching back down. I thought I hit his glove, about shoulder height, but it was actually his helmet. My CI said "watch your head contact with the juniors." I asked the kid if it was his glove, and he shook his head no and pointed to his head. Good thing it was only a tap. I think.

No idea why I can kick that high in sparring and not during line drills. It's just like jumping - in high school I could touch the rim if I was going up for a rebound. If I tried to get the rim, I wouldn't come close.

I have done this before, although not the head, but higher than I thought I could.
I think it comes down to your body actually performing correctly without thinking vs. over-thinking.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: