Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you should hydrate yourself more throughout the day.

Instead you sound like a lazy snotty teenage kid with some physical talent who probably drinks too much soda.

Don't like my presumptions about you? Perhaps you should drop the ones you direct at others.

If you don't like the water break rule, cope with it, or get out.

CanuckMA
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommarker wrote:

Instead you sound like a lazy snotty teenage kid with some physical talent who probably drinks too much soda.

Don't like my presumptions about you? Perhaps you should drop the ones you direct at others.

A hard 2 hour class without a water break borders on the dangerous.

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if that is how he feels, he should leave.

equaninimus
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Seibukan, Shotokan, Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is wellknown in sports you should drink before you get really thursty. You can hardly drink too much. You can, however, drink not enough and get dehydrated, causing you to perform less. You could even pass out.

It really depends on her instructor, now doesn't it? Many of the older instructors do not allow any breaks, for any reasons. Many of us make sure we are hydrated before class, and rehydrate after. Simply breaking the line and going to get a drink is very disrespectful, and should not be tolerated. In some places I have trained, the offending individual would be told to leave immediately and not come back.

Quote:
So Ti might not be a black belt. We don't know if he trained 40 years of kickboxing. So perhaps Ti knows things we don't!

From his post, he is training in a Shotokan dojo. As a beginner he should defer to his seniors. How much he "knows" is irrelevent. He is a beginner in a new system, and should act accordingly. Karate is a heierarchical structure, and "insight" from beginners is usually neither solicited or welcome. In addition, it sounds like he is in a budo oriented dojo, rather than a sport oriented one. In a sport oreiented school his responses might be welcome (I would't know, I don't do sport Karate), but they are certainly out of place in a serious karate dojo.

equaninimus
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommarker wrote:

Thanks for saying what I was trying very hard to avoid coming right out and saying.

Valithor
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: GKR Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 hours without a drink-break?

If this happens regularly it clearly shows the instructor has NO IDEA! You should leave a dojo like that immediately.

It is important to learn how to re-hydrate your-self by drinking regularly throughout the day, but with intense training, drink breaks are essential to maintaining a high level of knowledge retention - as well as being essential to the correction functioning of the body.

I understand how some people can be a little soft, and every time it gets a bit tough - they need a break.. but this is different

How many profession sportsmen, in any sport, play for 2 hours with no break?

Last night, I trained for 2 hours. It was 35C with a humidity of around 80-90%. We had four 2-min drink breaks. Without those, no-one could have made it through the session.

Midnight_kitty
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the lady you sparred against an instructor? I thought she was just a black belt. If she says you can't get water then just don't listen. If she says anything else talk to your main instructor about it. Does your instructors let you get water? If they do then pay no mind to the black belt. And if they don't then quit the school you could find a better place thats more for you.

equaninimus
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is the lady you sparred against an instructor? I thought she was just a black belt. If she says you can't get water then just don't listen.

Again, if the person is your senior, listen to her. Karate...heierarchical structure...etc..... remember?
If you really can't hydrate before the class, then talk to the senior instructor. If you have medical problems, diabetes, etc...let your sensei know. he or she will then let the other instructors know. Do not just decide you are going to do whatever you feel like whenever you feel like it.

Midnight_kitty
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do not just decide you are going to do whatever you feel like whenever you feel like it.

Why not? My dojo doesn't like to have someone considered so much better because of the heierarchical structure. They don't like the whole 'I'm higher than you so you must listen to me'. In fact in Japan it doesn't matter what belt you are it matters what age to are....if a white belt is 40 and a black belt is 20 the black belt has to show more respect to the white belt. Also I find it pretty arrogant that a black belt thinks they have the right to dictate people just cause of the color of their belt(unless it is training...ie. kata, sparring). I think if a black belt has that mindset then they are obviously not ready to be a black belt.

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

Clearly HIS studio ISN'T that way. If he doesn't like the rules, he should QUIT. End of story.

Not all instructors are as forward thinking and enlightened as yours, I guess.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: