Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I just got through watching The Last Samurai, and like the death of the Samurai clans, it seems like that's how it is nowadays with many of the martial studios around. Just simply having a lack of discipline, and respect for tradition, or maybe the opposite..........too much, bordering on fanatical due to egos that can't be kept in checked

informer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine if you had 4 thugs chase you 10 city blocks, you're running for your life...they catch you and you now have to scrap with them. At what point do you say "wait a second, I need some water first"?

ESA-Shotokan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Water! Reply with quote

informer wrote:
Imagine if you had 4 thugs chase you 10 city blocks, you're running for your life...they catch you and you now have to scrap with them. At what point do you say "wait a second, I need some water first"?

Very good!

I have to agree with the people on here who are against the water issue. If you do have a medical dehydration problem or the such, then yes, you may need to take a sip (or gulp) of water now and then. Otherwise, you have to train yourself to not need this requirement. I guess some people are different than others and can continue to train when their tongues are almost stuck to the roof of their mouths - I am one of them.

You tend to find that some people panic when they start to feel thirsty; same as hunger. Your body sends out the warning bell and you react - it then is a matter of rising to the panic or just switching off. I can have points of major dehydration during a lesson but time has taught me to get over it. A few minutes later, all is okay and yet I may have been going for it ten times harder. The body/mind can play tricks on you when you are getting tired.

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we rarely break for water, but we're also all college kids and - for the most part -- smart enough to stop when the symptoms of overtraining kick in.

we all also know that in the summer, there is no A/C and the humidity goes way up... so we all take the time to drink plenty during the day.

We've found classes in the winter are actually harder because it is so dry.

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also add that

1. no one has ever even passed out in our class in the 6 years i've been there, much less died from the perils of dehydration.

2. our teacher is not an evil monster.

3. just because we have heirarchy, doesn't mean that we don't have mutal respect of each other.

CanuckMA
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

informer wrote:

That encounter takes what? 15-20 minutes tops? That's a far cry from 2 hours.

CanuckMA
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommarker wrote:
I will also add that

1. no one has ever even passed out in our class in the 6 years i've been there, much less died from the perils of dehydration.

2. our teacher is not an evil monster.

3. just because we have heirarchy, doesn't mean that we don't have mutal respect of each other.

Key is MUTUAL respect. the teacher should also respect the students.
A long, strenous workout with no chance for re-hydration will lead to students not training as hard to conserve energy.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should ask the black belt why she doesn't want you to drink water during the lesson? Show a little respect for what she thinks and she'll probably respect you too. At the moment you just sound like a spoilt brat who got a butt-kicking and can't handle it. Prove that you're not and try and handle the situation with a bit of dignity.

Sheffield Steelers!

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no, we should spend more time telling him how right he is!!!

equaninimus
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Seibukan, Shotokan, Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pased out in training, in Tokyo,at the JKA Hombu, and in Okinawa this past summer. I wasn't the only one. There are certain things one just accepts. The point of no water breaks isn't cruelty, its discipline. It is partially about making oneself the master of one's needs and wants, not the other way around. In the dojo we do kotekite, body conditioning, drills, that include pounding of forearms and shins, as well as kicks and punches to the abdomen and chest. It hurts, but one learns the difference between pain that is a danger signal and mere discomfort. Being able to tell the difference is a major part in developing yourself to be an effective karateka.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: