Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Closed VS Open Testing Cycles
Closed
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Open
83%
 83%  [ 10 ]
Neither
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Testing Cycle Ratios!! Reply with quote

Are your testing cycles OPEN or CLOSED to spectators??

No answer is incorrect, imho, because each school has their preferred idea way of administering their testing cycles.

Ours are OPEN for all ranks!!

Thanks to Hawkmoon for suggesting this poll in the thread..."You Want It...Then EARN IT!!" in the Instructor Central forum.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open

Hard to say no to parents that want to see their kids during a grading, but I do make sure they aren't near the mat, in our last location there was a separate room that had a view into the dojo so parents used to sit in there. and luckily for my adult gradings normally no one wants to watch them, except for one time a higher grade aikido-ka decided to pop in to see how I do things, was nervous myself! let alone the ones grading!

So yeah my gradings are open to all, but I do prefer it when everyone is on the mat with no one watching...

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closed.

They can 'wait' out side if they wish, but parents and/or partners are not allowed to view the test/grading.

Students that are thought or considered to be under performing are spoken to way before the given dates and advised and supported as needed, then if all is well they grade, if not they are not put forward.

Its been the way as far as my gradings have gone since my first grading ... some 20 odd years ago.
What little I understand of the ruling comes form Sosai Oyama, basically his view of how karate should be taught.

(I have to confess to being ignorant of the origins of the 'way things are' as I have simply and even blindly accepted 'this is the way and thats it!")

Last edited by Hawkmoon on Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our gradings are open to be watched. Personally i dont like it for our junior kyu gradings. Because i feel like it makes the kids more nervous.

Our adult kyu gradings are during class so people are still training.

Our Black Belt Gradings i feel like each student should have someone there to provide support and first aid during the grading itself

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our testing is always open to spectators. Parents like to watch their kids, and sometimes friends come along, too. For adults, their families tend to come and watch, as well. We see the dojo as a family, so we also have other students come just to watch their dojo-mates test. I think it's good for these things to be open, because it takes away some of the mysticism that can sometimes build up when talking about testing.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting thread, I have did before I used to have my 8 year old son in a karate program. He wasn't where I trained because of class times and with us training and myself in a very demanding instructor training program the times didn't work so he went elsewhere. I was really taken back I couldn't view his first testing. As an instructor I was frustrated because I wanted to see his progress and him perform under pressure. As a parent I felt it was like hiding something and I felt jipped! I was never able to understand completely why, and I always felt it was wrong to have me outside while my kid is inside.

Not a knock on those with private testing, but as a parent and instructor I just can't be ok with it. Iv also said before that to me, students testing is equivalent to our version of a "game" as there would be in a sport like soccer or basketball! Also, it shows the newer students what to expect.

Open testing here!

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there was a "like" button because there are some great posts!

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, ANY class, regardless of what is going on, should be open to parents and spectators. If it isn't, then I sould be suspect as to what is going on in there, especially with kids.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana wrote:
IMO, ANY class, regardless of what is going on, should be open to parents and spectators. If it isn't, then I sould be suspect as to what is going on in there, especially with kids.

In a very simple and direct way you have stated some of what I was saying. I felt that way when my son had his testing that I couldn't see. In my mind, if he failed that leaves me with so many questions as to how or why no understanding of his progression or lack there of

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to have ours open but switched to closed. Mainly because of the kids. I realize it's nice for parents to watch their kids but the main reason we did it is because those same parents like to criticize others. Parents can be pretty deluded when it comes to their kids and wonder why little their little Jimmy didn't pass when he is clearly better than Bobbie.

Classes are always open to watch so they can see their kids there and 1st dan gradings are usually open to all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: