Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

$imoń
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Judo, Jujutsu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true, im training hard to try improve my flexibilty but its taking time..before i started training i couldnt even touch my toes lol, now i can do that easily but to start TKD when i was in that condition would have been silly as there is no way i wouldve been able to kick properly, i still have trouble but im working on it. Karate is really more suited to me
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Sens55
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: MKD TKD & AJJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon,

Don't think that you have to be flexible to perform TKD. Your flexibility comes FROM studying it. Most beginners do low, slow kicks to build form, strength, balance and flexibility. Then, as you progress your kicks get higher, faster, stronger and quicker. But most students don't start out that way.

Ben
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hap Ki Do

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have chosen TKD over a lot of other arts, because i aim to become fitter, and to have the ability to defend myself. i think TKD is an amazing art with a lot of strengths, but of course, everything has a weakness.

i feel that if you do want to become great at self defense, or prepare yourself for any street attacks, kicks wont do. you cant just kick. you also need some punches, and maybe some me grappling. but has this seemingly "unbalanced" martial art made me not want to do it? not in the slightest.

TKD *does* include elbows, knee's, and punches. just because you dont see it on tv or in sparring, doesnt mean they dont. and why dont you see it? because its not what the art is about. they teach it to make you slightly more rounded.

have you ever had the thought "why dont they come up with just one MA that covers every single detail?" they probably have. they probably tried. and from what i understand, if they have tried this, they have failed for a reason. if you do karate, where are your weakpoints? if you think they are a problem, strengthen them through personal means. if it means taking up another art, then do it. and i feel its the same with TKD.

to be rounded, you are a freestyler - no doubt about it. if not, why are the freestylers freestylers?

i guess the main point here is that in my opinion, karate is good for in close, and TKD is close for long range. again, its *personal preferance* after all... if you were 5'2" would you do jiu-jitsu or TKD? i'll let you think on that one...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: