Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know little about Karate, but I know something about TKD. Can someone tell me what Karate is about? Would it be wiser to go into Karate or TKD? TKD = Korea, Karate = Japan. TKD is known for its rapid high kicks and spinning kicks, what is Karate known for?

Thx!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

winterkarate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i know absolutely nothin about TKD, but karate is a more rounded art that concentrates on every aspect of the martial arts rather than just the kicks. it a combination of punches kicks holds and throws, and shotokan is a strong form where one of the main aspects is "one hit, one kill!". by saying that karate is more rounded, i dont mean to be offensive to you.

hope this helps.

ste.

Karate International Black Belt Schools (UK)

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kata is to karate what the side kick is to TKD. Karate is very kata heavy and can be kinda beneficial if u concentrate heavily on the bunkai (kata application in fighting scenarios).

I recently took up Zen Do Kai again (which is a freestyle martial art with strong links to karate) and there is one kata we have to learn, as beginners, called Iron Horse - which is fun enough but what was good about the class is that each move was explained and the various applications of each move were shown to us.

I would say that karate is fairly 'traditional' emphasising rigid blocks and 'out of date' stances. No offense to anyone.
I don't think i could do pure karate or pure tkd. Kyokushin or Shotokan karate would be good to take up, but if u don't have these styles of karate then just go and learn tkd.

Angus

Rambo2001
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karate is about kicking peoples in

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where as karate is well rounded,Taekwondo is less rounded but works on things in more focus.Shotokan karate is the strongest form of karate(in my mind) due to the use of hips for power and deep stances which make a better foundation.TKD vs Karate, Well I think that its a draw.

C Ya

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moobrack is correct

If you want to learn more about karate, feel free to email me - I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have

Hope this helps

Tobias

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shotokan karate section is a good place to find out things like this. I differ from those in Shotokan saying Shi-to Ryu is better because of the polishing that is involved. We are kata heavy but Kata is what helps you with balance in Kumite(fighting). Shotokan is all power, while other styles have different emphasis. Shi-to Ryu is speed and power. Goju-Ryu is tension and relaxation. Wado-Ryu is fluidity. These four styles are the main styles around the world and recognized by the WKF(World Karate Federation). Email anyone in the Karate section and we will be happy to reply.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias, why not post the questions here?

More posts.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Huh? who moved my post... its out in the public now!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

niel0092
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kali, TKD, judo (formerly)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do TKD so I'll put in my two cents. TKD does focus on kicks but we also do sweeps, throws, hand tech's, knee's, elbows and all the other fun stuff. People only see the kicks 'cause that's what gets used in Olympic WTF sparring (continuous full contact point accumulation much like Olympic boxing). ITF as I understand it is point sparring (set, score a point, reset) but they allow hands to the face.
Now to compare with the only Karate I've seen (Shotokan) I'd say they are more rooted/stable/strong where as we are more flowing/agile/quick. It's a one hit one kill approach vs a move and hit many times philosophy. This is a broad generalization. Shotokan people can be really fast and TKD people can hit really hard, all depends on the individual.
Both are good styles, both have the potential to knock someone on their keester in short order.

[ This Message was edited by: niel0092 on 2001-11-08 20:35 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: