Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Again, Lex, looks great! You've done quite well with the space given. As your school grows, you'll have to figure out what to do with the seating space. However, it's an easy fix, or it seems to be from my point of view...add class times to accommodate growth.

Thanks again. I have definitely considered the fact that I can only fit so many people in the seating area and on the mats in the space I have. So the answer I have come up with it is the same as yours, which is to Simply add more class times as necessary. With the schedule I have now I think I could fit another two classes in each evening plus another day if it comes to that. I currently keep closed on Fridays because I reserve those days for testings only. This is how my last school did it and it worked well for him so I figured I'd give it a try haha. I'm also doing an open mat and a kickboxing on Saturday but could easily add an extra class if needed also, so there is plenty of room to spread out my student base if necessary, and I hope it is necessary. A little stuck still right now, 15 students and hoping to get somewhere before next month. Need 20 to cover rent, and maybe 5 more for utilities.

I'm not letting go of my first location in Buckeye at the the rec center. I'm at 37 this month which means I have 52 total, things look promising. I have about 10 that have been with me over a year, so I think I'm doing things the right way, no daytime job so I better be lol

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are students from the rec center willing to go to the new dojo instead? Or is it too far away? If it's a time and day thing, you could move their classes to the new place and keep the money you pay the rec center.

Most likely not that simple and you've considered that.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Are students from the rec center willing to go to the new dojo instead? Or is it too far away? If it's a time and day thing, you could move their classes to the new place and keep the money you pay the rec center.

Most likely not that simple and you've considered that.

It really wouldn't benefit me to do that, either way the rec center pays. I make that money wherever they are at except I have a large gym to teach in, I held a class on Tuesday for example in which I had 23 students in one class, now much of that was because I condensed the classes so I may have only 2 classes instead of 4 as I did, so I can get back to the new studio to finish up the night teaching there. It's a 35 min drive for the record lol. While I'm in Buckeye at the rec center I have a Brazilian jiu-jitsu guy doing classes at the studio, so that I don't have to be closed. Only one student there so far but promising.

Ultimately I'm OK doing the 2 locations bit eventually need another instructor to help out. My wife gave birth to a baby girl a month ago, so she's been of little help for obvious reasons (don't tell her I said that) my oldest who is now 14 was a huge helper as a Jr Black belt but as I have posted became I'll, so I could use a bit of help. I can hold down the fort for a bit though. I think we're doing OK, there is a bit of competition in this area but I'm one of the only one especially without contracts and deposits, I think we'll be doing well just going to take some building.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marketing!! That might be needed for the new location!! Pass out more flyers and do more demonstrations...anything to get your name out there. If no one knows your there and what you offer, they'll never darken your door. Ask parents to be an advocate for the new location...word of mouth.

Find a pizza joint that will allow you to put flyers on the pizza box...something...anything...trial and error.

If you've not done so yet, do a Grand Opening; sign ups might be there!!

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Marketing!! That might be needed for the new location!! Pass out more flyers and do more demonstrations...anything to get your name out there. If no one knows your there and what you offer, they'll never darken your door. Ask parents to be an advocate for the new location...word of mouth.

Find a pizza joint that will allow you to put flyers on the pizza box...something...anything...trial and error.

Thanks Sensei, I'm not the best at it but I do a great deal of social media stuff because I enjoy putting promotional videos together and what not. Your right though, in the mix of everything I haven't done some of the things you have suggested. You got me thinking about how some businesses go to a fast food place or restaurant to make some money for a cause. For God reason I have always wanted to do something for my daughters hospital. She has to be there once a week and it's not so kid friendly. Could get out there a little and do it for a good cause. Thanks for the ideas.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard from you for a while. How's it going? Getting all settled in? How's attendance?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Thanks Sensei, I'm not the best at it but I do a great deal of social media stuff because I enjoy putting promotional videos together and what not. Your right though, in the mix of everything I haven't done some of the things you have suggested. You got me thinking about how some businesses go to a fast food place or restaurant to make some money for a cause. For God reason I have always wanted to do something for my daughters hospital. She has to be there once a week and it's not so kid friendly. Could get out there a little and do it for a good cause. Thanks for the ideas.

If I may, your daughter is in my prayers...hang in there...all of you!!

And yes, do something fun for the kids at the hospital...donate your time...do a speed breaking demo or something like that, with all of the proceeds going directly to the hospital.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sensei. She's doing well. Sorry jr137 been a while, been tied up making hard decisions. So, unfortunately I had to make a really tough decision. Rent day came, along with the electric bill. I had 3 new students but I also had 5 go on vacation. I could rough through it in fact I had a few offers to help me out but I decided to close it down. Very upsetting, very very upsetting. It was a choice though. I am having financial problems and it came down to me not wanting to pay for the dojo, I made it up in my mind that it needed to pay for itself. If I wanted I feel after summer an after vacation time I'm sure I'd be successful but right now my family is having some problems with money and me paying wasn't an option so it became an easy decision. Also, I had a Jiu-Jitsu program in place on the days I was at my recreation location because I couldn't be at two places at one time and it allowed my place to be open and functional. I decided the only way I would consider gritting through it is if I could dedicate 100% to the place, unless I got rid of my recreation location I couldn't do that, so another reason to walk away.

I'm not one to give up but I felt that between my personal life and family vs adding another bill (the dojo) it because easy to walk away. Upsetting but didn't really feel it was a choice on the end, it was just the right thing to do for me and my family now. A few said they would follow me to my recreation location, so that's good.

You live and learn. Sometimes in life you have to put yourself out there and take risk in order to succeed and at times you don't but it's always a lesson learned for me, so I never truly lose because I gain something if not the success I sought

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear it, Lex. As you said, you live and learn. Doing the best thing for your family is always the best thing to do. Down the road when the time is right, I'm sure you'll look back at it and remember what worked and what didn't work when you open your next place. The next place will definitely be better.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks buddy, mostly what didn't work was myself having enough finances to get me through the summer where everybody went on vacation. I did a good job of keeping students and new student started to slowly trickle in but student vacations were killer. I look back to some places I train and I remember that summers were dreadful but I did not remember this at the time because at the rec center I usually get an increase in students. Planning things out I see now that it was a bit of a mistake to open in the summer.

The biggest thing I guess it is not to sit and cry about it because I did not go out of business, I just had to close down a second location and there's a big difference. I remain thankful to still be open somewhere LOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: