Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sens55
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: MKD TKD & AJJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on common sense...the only problem with it is that it isn't really that common.

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the ground up wrote:

it isn't common sense that tells you "they aren't full of it", it's your own stupidity.

Well, that depends greatly on a number of factors, such as if the car is still running, and how large the oil pan is, how large the engine is, the pressure of the pump, how rapidly the water is delivered, etcetera.

Unless you meant a cooking pan with oil in it, in which case it's more or less dependant on how rapidly the water is delivered.

it isn't common sense that tells you "they aren't full of it", it's your own stupidity.

That's an awfully closed-minded view. If stupidity is what makes me happy to the point of cackling aloud 24/7 and capable of making a mockery of anything that attempts to stand in my way, then I'm proud of whatever it is I am. I'll continue driving muscle cars and laughing in the face of people who spend all day complaining about how bad their life is, while simultaneously saying "it's just common sense!" when I ask why they did the things they do.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and now you're just making daft comments regarding what common sense is.

my point is that common sense is about sensibilty.

like not walking into an angry mob or walking around in your gi and proclaiming that you are a fifth degree black belt etc etc.

you can say that common sense isn't always sensible but at least give credible reasons.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I base it on observation. The people that I find talk about common sense the most are the same ones who weigh 400 pounds, have 3 kids with no known fathers, chain-smoke, and constantly complain that they can't make ends meet working at minimum wage.

It constantly boggles my mind the things that people justify by saying "It's only common sense!" Generally the same things they are attempting to justify by saying that are also far from ideal.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry don't really understnd what you mean...

common sense is what tells you not to juggle sharp knives without practicing with something less dangerous.

what has common sense got to do with 400lbs kids etc etc?

like i say, you seem to bring rather silly examples....

it might help if you explain clearly what you mean cos it sounds like we are talking about two different things here.

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people I described are the ones who subscribe to the notion of common sense most strongly. It's like Nazis. Do you think Nazis are bad? Is it because the people who seem to hold Nazi beliefs the most tightly are fascists who murdered piles of people?

Well I think common sense is bad, because everyone I've met that teaches it royally screws themselves over repeatedly because they are so loyal to this "common sense" that they don't think about what they are actually doing.

"Common sense" is just a crutch. However, it's like a broken crutch, like trying to cheat on a test by using an answer sheet with all the wrong answers on it.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um...
how bout a few examples of this common sense?

Ben
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hap Ki Do

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muay thai... i've seen it in action, and oh my god!!!

i personally dont want to get knocked in the head with elbows ETC just for the training... but if you can find a kickboxing/thai boxing place around you, i'd strongly suggest trying it. even if you dont like it, its an option that you can tick off the list.

although BJJ, as a lot of people have said, also seems to be extremely "street-defence" for the lack of a decent term. like about 60 people have said already, go to loads of clubs, see how you feel about each one. just dont join a class cause theres a load of hot chicks

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

um...
how bout a few examples of this common sense?

Well, a few months ago I was standing on a fast moving conveyor belt about 20 feet off the concrete floor without a safety harness. Allegedly, this was "dangerous." When I inquired with the gentleman who claimed it was unsafe, he said "it's just common sense!"

So common sense dictates that that is dangerous? Falling 20 feet wouldn't be that bad, unless I was 80, and even if I was 80, it wouldn't matter unless I fell, which I wasn't going to anyway.

Another example. Some punks were threatening myself and a couple of my friends with some knives. Common sense would dictate that we not attempt to escalate the situation, since we were unarmed ourselves. However, knives aren't dangerous until they attempt to coexist with the molecules in your body, and since they were not doing so, the danger was imagined. Hostile words ensued, and they soon realized that instead of commencing a mugging, they were about to become victims of a random act of extreme violence. If I had played the common sense game, I'd probrably have a friend with a damaged car, a damaged body, or a lighter wallet.

In that situation, I was at a gas station. They first asked for money and my friend said "yeah yeah, keep on walkin." So they said, (basically) "yo man, I gotta knife I'm gonna cut you." Common sense would dictate running, or giving the money, or some other "peaceful" resolution. My solution? Flip open a zippo lighter, start up the gas pump, point the nozzle at them and shout "IS THAT SO?" As you might imagine, the so-called attackers quickly vacated their underpants. My plan worked a heck of a lot better than any so-called "sensible" plan. I realize that that may cause an explosion if you light the lighter, but.. so what? You can deal with that after.

Bart the Lover
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warp Spider wrote:
Quote:
Unless you meant a cooking pan with oil in it, in which case it's more or less dependant on how rapidly the water is delivered.

Eeek! Never pour water on a chip pan fire! The water sinks to the bottom,
turns to steam and turns the whole thing into a massive fireball. Do this
and you have a high probability of dying.

Quote:
Falling 20 feet wouldn't be that bad

Yes, it would. You may be killed, or permanently injured.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: