Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its strange I know but its different to weights. Okay call me a freak of nature but I'm sorry but I get stronger every day I do these. I know I'm stronger because every day things like carrying groceries isnt exactly hard but they are still very easy to carry and for example after about 2 weeks of doing the exrcises i could pick up my 14 stone dad and run around with him something I was never able to do when I was doing weights and I'm not exaggerating. I cant say I understand the science but I know that I'm stronger by doing the exercises rather than in the knowledge of why they make you stronger than opposed to weight traininjg baffles me but thats just the way it is.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you took my advice regarding Furey's Combat Conditioning
http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3147&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

View other posts in this thread too about bodybuilding without weights.
I have been doing the hindu push ups and squats and let me tell you what awesome conditioning exercises to add to your current routines.

Watch out for the squats (you may not be able to walk up and downstairs if you do too many at first)... Start with 25 ea. and increase from there.

My workouts change according to my goals at the time (yours should also!). Right now I'm training for my next dan. Every morning 5 minutes of slow static stretches, then 10 min dynamic stretches, 5 min of static again afterward.

(3 days a week)
Ab work (crunches assorted i.e. crossovers, obliques).... pushups, squats. ... some plyometrics on occasion
Freeweights to work triceps/biceps, bench press and leg lifts
Heavy bag drills (punches/kicks) I'm working on 360 back kicks and 360 rounds at the moment.
Advanced kick practice .... switch kicks, 540's, jump round/hooks and various triples
(Everday)
Forms practice. Over and Over and Over!!!! (Kwang Gae/Po-Eun/Gae Bek)

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KickChick your a bit confusing that your talking about body building without weights. The point of the calisthenics in combat conditioning is to build functional strengh not bulk, so why are you talking about body building without weights. Also when you told me on that thread you refered to me to want to body build without weights.

Confusing Girl!

Also Ti Kwon leep said

"With strength will also bring size, but not to the extent that bodybuilding will.
Let's take pullups for example: do as many pullups as you can so that you are straining to do the last one.
Wait a couple days and then do as many as you can WITHOUT straining.
Continue this cycle till you can do about 30 pullups. At this point you should be able to chin yourself with one arm.
To continue strength gains , warm up with 15 reps and then do as many one arm pullups as you can, using the cycle method described above."

Should you not be staraining everyday, or should you have one intence then the next not so intenc and the day after intence again?

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole theory behind Matt's Combat Conditioning is bodyweight conditioning and muscular endurance! Not just calisthenics ... they are body weight exercises that make the body more efficient and strong without getting bulky.
You're confused I'm afraid ... you can build the body in many ways.
Matt's combat conditioning is bodybuilding .... plain and simple really without conventional "weights" providing only the weight of one's own body to achieve muscular endurance, strength and providing the same benefits of fat loss.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing now but someday i will get back to my regiment.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh isnt calisthenics bodyweight exercises.

When you say bodybuilding thats building muscular bulk, thats why its called body building. Are you refering it to mean building using your body?

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOPE .... "You can bodybuild without adding bulk .... as in Furey's Combat Conditioning .... yes, bodybuild using your body... no weight except bodyweight!

risingdragon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monday-thursday i do pushups, then do it with my fist, punch with 10 pound weights for 2 mins, lift up a 20 pound weight for as long as i can lift, then i get my heavy bag put it on and go in push up position but with my fist and kind of move to another side of a room while in push up position. after that i do situps, then run with the heavy bookbag, then i skip rope, go against a wall in as if i'm sitting on a chair holding two 10 pound weights in my hand and try to hold this position for as long as i can. after thats done i work on balancing, then reflex training by bouncing a ball on my hands then practice my accuracy. then when training is done i meditate. during fridays through sundays, i punch for 10 minutes then, kick 100 times per leg, practice my techs, then punch a punching bag, also hit the the punching bag with my palm, then i do finger jabs on a wall for 5 minutes, all of this training is good in keeping my heart pumping, endurance, stamina, strength, speed, reflex, accrucay, and mind. i'm almost forgot to add that i stretch for 10 minutes.

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you do Matt Fureys exercise you get strength and endurance, but you also get bulk am I right?

Anyway this is my schedule:

First I start by warming up for 10 minutes, and doing a really quick and light stretch for 5 minutes. Then I work on different techniques. I practice developing my reflexes 3 times a week.

I do different strength exercises like push ups(lots of variety), crunches, hindu squats, and anything strength related i can think of at that moment.

After that I do endurnace stuff, like jump roping for 30 minutes, running for 10 minutes, and working on footwork for about 10 minutes. Once I'm all done and happy I cool down by taking a walk outside for about 30 minutes, then I come back in and end by doing a light stretch and taking a shower.

at night i sometimes do yoga or chi gong, but only once in a while. Three times a week I do stretching for 30 minutes.. not juts warm up stretching but the kind where you focus on flexibility. but i hate stretching though.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to give an idea of the routine I was on before and what I am going to do in the future...

Monday - Endurance, Flexibility
Tuesday - Calisthenics, Technique
Wednesday - Technique, Flexibility
Thursday - Endurance, Technique
Friday - Technique, Flexibility
Saturday - Calisthenics plus lower body work

Calisthenics went as follows..

2 minutes pushups, 1 minute rest. Repeated for a total of 4 sets. I would sometimes put weights on my back, or shorten the rest to become more proficient at this. I followed this with a variety of abdominal exercises, and then did four sets of pullups to failure. Sometimes finish it off with Hindu pushups and back bridge.

Lower Body work iirc, would involve some weighted squats and deadlifts, then standing with leg extended in front, side, and back kick positions for a length of time, and standing in a deep wide horseriding stance until I could bear it no longer.

When I get back into the MA properly, I am going to start a new training way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: