Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:07 am    Post subject: Whats your workout? Reply with quote

I made this post so that I can get an idea what people on this forum are doing.

Here is my workout that I do everyday:

Hindu Squats, Hindu pushups, backbridge, handstand pushups, reverse pushups, fingertip and fist pushups, pull ups (hands in close knuckles facing out), kneeling back bend, v-ups, side bends, hindu jumper squats, penetration step lunges, jumping lunges.

That workout builds functional strengh, endurance, flexibility (upper body), explosive strengh and power, agility.

Karate stretches= flex all my lower extremities.

Road work= fighting while running builds greater endurancve that running mile after mile, skipping, punching and kicking the bag, practicing basic terchnique for 20 mins and kata.

finish off with Mokusoko (japenese meditation).

All this combines mind, body and spirit.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good.

I'm lifting weights, no callasthenics or pylometrics at the moment. Also no running or Martial Arts training, since I am aiming to put some muscle on, and am also between schools at the moment.

Bench Press, Military Presses, Pullups, Chins, Rows, Squats, Deadlifts. When I get back into the martial arts I will switch from a size-orientated routine to a strength-orientated routine (powerlifting style) and supplement with callasthenics, running, stretching, and of course, technique practice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, would you care to share with us this Mokusoko technique?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dAMN I just lost the whole quate!

Basically you are in a kneeling position with hands on lap breathin for 15 seconds with eyes half open starring at a poinbt 18 inches in front of him and imagining the course that the air takes. When it reaches the hara exhale and contract for 15 seconds.

This is fdor the spirit for without this knowledge the student will progree to a point an no thurther.

Jack I have done weights for years and all 3. Bulk, endurance and strengh.

Weights are BEST for bulk.

Body calisthenics are BEST for strengh, endurance, flexibility, explosivness and everything else. It has already been proven that people that do body calisthenis are far stronger than powerlifters who life for strengh.

I strongly recommend you look at this and as a frind evrything it sais it does.

www.mattfury.com

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you direct me to some of this "proof" that calisthenics can produce someone stronger than an Olympic-level Powerlifter?

And yes, I've read Matt Furey's website. I can see how callasthenics develope all of the attribute you mentioned above, but I doubt Matt Furey could Squat more than an Olympic Powerlifter, even if he can do 500 Hindu Squats.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment it's loads of weights. an hour to an hour and a half every day in the gym. one body part per day for 5 days then 2 days rest.
all usual exercise and alternating with leg stretching/ankle weights and ab work.

When my club starts training again i'll be back to training 4 times a week in TKD and weights when i can.

Body calisthenics? Is that like using your own body weight for resistance? If it is i hate it. I hate high rep work, I can do press-ups, sit-ups, dips, squat thrusts and chins all day. (okay not really all day but when i get around the 100 mark my wrists and back generally start aching before the muscles i'm trying to work )

Bretty

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said an olympion since they train just for that purpose, and infact they had som e power lifters come down to his club and they could squat something like 250bs but couldnt do more than 25 hindu squats, of and he done 2000 squats on the eve of 2000.

Anyway you seem to doubt these exercises so if you got the guts I want you for just 1 week to stop the weights and try just 3 exercises and after that week I want you to tell me how you feel.

Hindu Squats
Hindu Pushups
Backbridge

Then after the week go test your self on the weights and I think you'l be amazed since its no point of just demanding that you beleive me, the point is that you find the truth by your self.

Keep in mind that the worst happens will be that you have tried the workout and know whats right for you.
If you want bulk do weights, if you want real functional ungodly strengh then do combat conditioning calisthenics.

But Jack before you say anything just do these 3 exercises every day just 1 set of each and in a week tell me how you feel and how you got on with the weights and I know your exat resonse unless you lie of course which I dont think you'l do.

Good Luck

oh that top link is wrong here it is www.mattfurey.com

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the powerlifter - 250lbs is pretty low for a Bodybuilder, let alone a Powerlifter. And yes, the fact he could do so little Hindu Squats is not because of a lack of strength, it is because of a lack of endurance. There is a distinct difference.

I have done those three exercises before, my old routine consisted of 2 minutes pushups, one minute break, repeated four time, the same with situps, and then 4 sets of pullups or chins to failure. I finished it up with something like 20 hindu pushups, 20 hindu squats, and a minute back bridge. They are tough movements, but they lack the progressive resistance of weights that builds strength - After you can do 15 or so, doing more seems to just build endurance and not additional strength, which is where progressive resistance comes into play, and weights can give just that!

However, in a few weeks I will drop the weights and do these for a week, since I only did them twice a week before. It is likely however, that a strength increase would occur whatever I chose to do in that week due to how the switching or routines leads to an additional adaptation, increasing strength.

But hey, I'm up for it, why not? LOL.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weights is a different function to that of weights in that with weights you increase the weight so you keep the reps the same. With your own body by increaing reps is the only way to get stronger and the key to these exercises is that you do them every day. I really want to get you out of this way of thinking. Let me give you an example. Animals in the wild are far stronger than us humans and they dont push weights or use mechanicle devices they do it by working with their own body weight mastering it from all directions and angles. In the past humans where far stronger than us and pitted themselves against huge animals like bulls and defeated them. They also used their own weight. Why do you think the very best in the world such as the SAS and the US Navy SEALs use their own body weight? Because it builds functional strengh and endurance. I know that you still think that weights will make you stronger so I'm glad that you'l give these exercises all you have for one week and hopefull that will open your eyes to new strengh and endurance you never had before. I think you should look at the bio of Matt Furey at www.mattfurey.com. This guy was the first ever American to win a championship in China let alone their very own style of Kung Fu.

Also I have never felt stronger through any other exercises. I can do 400 squats, 150 hindu pushups, and hold a back bridge for 10 mins. My strengh increases everyday, what you have to understand is that using your body weight is different than weights, you become stronger with the more reps you do and in weights you become stronger with increasing the weight. also for that 1 week only do 1 set of each since that is what I do cand in less than a week I felt far stronger than on weights. Also all my old weights I can lift far easier than before.

Good Luck to you anyway

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My my, you sure have been doing your research.

Yes, you keep the rep scheme the same, so when you can do a certain number of reps with a set weight, you up the weightage, thus upping the load of the muscles, thus upping the tearing of muscle fibre, thus causing a greater neurological and physical change for the CNS to allow more muscle fibres to be used in lifting, and the muscle itself to allow the fibres to restitch larger. That is the basis behind weight-based strength training.

What I see with combat conditioning is that you up and up the reps further, never adding to resistance thus never causing a greater need for adaption in the strength - the body can already handle this certain weight from a Hindu Pushups, so it doesn't need to develope strength to do something harder than a Hindu Pushup, it just gets better and better at doing that specific move, increasing the endurance to do more with that relatively light resistance.

I know many weightlifters, bodybuilders, and powerlifters who have all gone into the armed services and after BUDS, have come out a lot weaker but with a lot of endurance. However, it was noted that many beginners who had not seriously lifted weights before with intensity, came out of BUDS being able to lift a lot more. So, it works differently for different people.

I guess the thing that I am confused about here is the distinction between strength and strengthendurance. Your body adapt to what you throw at it. If you throw 150 Hindu Pushups at it, it'll adapt to be better at doing a lot of Hindu Pushups. If you Bench Press so your muscle are done for within eight reps, then your body will adapt to be able to be stronger for those eight reps. A general rule I've always known for this sort of thing is that 2-6 reps will build strength, 8-12 is good for hypertrophy(size), and 15+ is good for endurance. How will doing 150 pushups make you able to do one movement more powerfully? Won't it simply allow a decent amount of strength to be used for a long period of time, than a great amount of strength to be used for a short period of time?

Please get back to me, I'm interested in case you hadn't noticed.

Peace.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: