Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boxing is easy cause all you have to do is block there two hands then kickboxing/thia kickboxing you have elbows and knees and legs and arms!!it gets more difficult and kartie well i know its kicks punches and i dont know if theres anymore cause i forgot!!and blah blah blah!!!get the point!

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it is that boxers are made to take blows. Not like me.

C ya

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

kajugangsta
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxing is not weak........... I grew up in Samoa where my uncle was the heavy weight champion. And boxing is a family tradition. how can anyone say that boxing is weak. Anyone can throw a punch. boxing is much more than that, it takes skill ,stamina..................you gotta have a strong chin, you have to know how bob, weave and slip punches, how to combinate your punches, you got to have great footwork, and you have to be in great physical condition. Whats great about boxing is you train the way you fight, inside and outside the ring..............................................................Boxing is anything but weak.

Liam_Sullivan
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most boxers are good street fighters and i dunt see ne martial arts except maybe muay thia effective in street situations i aint dissing youse or nething just sayign dunt diss boxing cos you'll probably lose too a boxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2001 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boxing has far superior striking and technique then any other martial art...its conditioning practices are also something to admire...anyone serious about defense should learn boxing skills..no matter what your style of fighting is

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

Slim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxing is the combat “art” of the Western world. Until about fifty years ago, whenever an American thought of self-defense he thought of “the manly art” — not some “style” designed for samurai, rice-fed peasants, or gangsters of the Triads. Why? Sim­ply because boxing works to put an opponent down and out. For a thorough examination of the reasons, check out my Championship Streetfighting; but let’s also look at evidence of boxing’s effectiveness I didn’t cite in the book: fighting for million-dollar purses, don’t you think that prizefighters would adopt the shoot-from-the-hip reverse punch if it were harder, faster, and could produce more knock­outs than jabs, straight rights, hooks, and upper­cuts? The fact remains that boxing blows are the most effective ways to end a fight fast, in the ring or on the street.

Half inched from article found while surfing...
http://www.loompanics.com/Articles/SportingLife.html for whole article.

striking_cobra
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung ling, kung fu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with alot of the guys in here in the sense that boxing is a good thing...but as a practitioner of brazillian jiu jitsu i can also say that boxing has some obvious weaknesses moreso even than the other "stand up" martial arts. for the simple fact you don't have to watch out for feet, shins, knees, elbows, just two little hands...

that's just why i say, maybe something to think about...

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Karate also has jabs, hooks, uppercuts, etc...

I don't think one NEEDS to do boxing to get excellent hand skills. In fact, for all I know a boxer might benefit from learning, say, Wing Chun "sticky hands", and adapting the principals to the boxing ring.

However, by specializing in hand skills, the boxer can concentrate all their time and effort into improving this area, so naturally you'd expect them to be excellent when it comes to punching, parrying, blocking, dodging and weaving, etc.

Also boxers, particularly for competition fighting, train very hard, for full contact fighting.

Sure boxing is a sport, and as such the art has focused on a limited range of what were considered "fair and sporting" fighting techniques back in the day (i.e "none o' that girly kickin' and open hand slapping, no continental poofter rolling around on the ground nonsense, nothing below the belt, now put up yer dukes, old chap")

A boxer might not be expecting that kick or elbow on the street, but I wouldn't want to rely on it as a fail-safe winning move. You might find the distance closed and a chain of punches coming at your head.

It'd all come down to who has trained harder, all other things being equal.

What I think a boxer WOULDN'T be expecting in a fight would be any trained grappling moves - joint locks, throws, being laid flat on his back with a choker hold applied, etc. Nothing in the boxing training has prepared them for this... (not even kata...hehehe)

I've heard a lot of stuff on this board like "if you want to fight, do a fighting art" (usually in reference to Muay Thai), or "Karate is not for fighting", etc.

I think boxing is definitely one of those "for fighting" arts, i.e put em up and go X rounds in a proper fight, one on one. And effective if used that way.

Notice I used the phrase "proper fight".

Karate, in the old jutsu form, was "not for fighting", sure... but not because you just let people beat you up. It was also "too deadly for sport", but not necessarily because you could punch a hole through a vital point...
It wasn't for fighting because it was designed to end fights... permanently.
Try to "fight" a boxer, or Muay Thai fighter, and they'll fight back.
Try to "fight" an old karate-jutsu master and your punching arm has just been seized and broken at the elbow with a few lightning quick moves.
Stand helpless in pain as your friend tries the same thing, and finds an elbow rammed into his throat, his testicles seized, and next thing is lying on the ground where he landed skull first, with blood pooling around his head...

Now do you see the difference between the two arts? An art designed for "fighting" and an art designed for "not fighting".

I suppose this is why boxing could be considered "the noble art of self defense" because you just try to wear down your opponent or knock them out without permanently maiming or killing them.

Also why karate really was once too dangerous for just showing off, or sparring in the ring, or using carelessly in anything except the most dire circumstances.

It took a lot of modifying to get to the modern "kickboxing" competition karate we have today.

Whereas, as you say, with boxing you fight the same in and out of the ring, same as it's always been.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a sport is is nice. Because so much is put on being in shape. Maybe more so than any other MA.

However as a fighting art outside the ring it sucks. IMO. I know 5 boxers who have broken their hand by hitting people, bags, walls, etc without gloves on. This is not to say really good boxers like the pros and olympic guys don't know how to hit without gloves on but most do not. In karate we teach from day one how to punch without hurting you wriest and hand.

Boxing is popular because every state allows it plus it is an olympic event. Most states will not support full contact MA touraments like the UFC or even just kickboxing.

I do see this changing in the next 50 years or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Lau gar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find boxing entertaining

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: