Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I know 5 boxers who have broken their hand by hitting people, bags, walls, etc without gloves on."

Ouch, G... what causes that? Hitting with the pinky and ring finger? This seems to be the sort of punch I see most amateurs throw when they play "boxing"...

Hehe my middle knuckes are a good 3-5mm larger than the rest, so my "natural" punch is a one knuckle! Had to work on the basic karate two knuckle...

Actually, from pounding a rather (too) stiff makiwara, I've become a big fan of the open palm... man, that can strike, full force, and I hardly feel it... the palm absorbs the blow, but does it deliver the force! Delivered to the chin or nose, that could do some damage!

El Guerrero Loco
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of y'all are underestimating boxing. I agree martial arts in theory is more powerful, and you can talk crap about them, but y not try fighting one of 'em? Once they get past ur legs, they should easily be able to out punch you. I'm a free-style martial artist, specializing in Wado-Ryu Karate, since that is the art i formally take. I incorperate boxing, its great! Boxing punches may not have the power of some Karate techniques but they are well guarded from punches and evade well, alas...some good kicking, which is proably my forte(I love that thai roundhouse ) well, the are gonners. And grappling...well that would involve getting in close, which...unfortunatley for grapplers, is the boxing forte. But if they get 'em down, its game set and match. Anyone else like the grappling techniques where you get a rear choke on your opponent take 'em down with you on the bottom and wrap your legs around 'em? Pretty much impossible to get out of(me dad taught me that one, he's a fantastic grappler)....unless of course they bite and scratch at you...lol

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah most break the pinky or ring finger because they throw their hooks with them out. Others do it because when you put gloves on you have your wrists taped up and they are more solid and they let their wrist bend when they hit someting.

It more a lack on not knowing enough about boxing that hurts them than boxing itself.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All of the hard training in boxing is the good side, but the fighting is very bad, and ineffective.

Have u ever sparred a boxer before??

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree martial arts in theory is more powerful, and you can talk crap about them, but y not try fighting one of 'em?

Well its pretty much like Taikudo-ka said. Most martial arts are designed so you don't stand there and slug it out with your opponent, or run around picking away at their guard(which boxers usually train to do). So sure a boxer would beat you in a boxing match, because that is what they train for, but in the street its alot different.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say though that boxing does have alot of good points.

I myself practise karate and when sparring etc, i use a guard similar to boxing/kickboxing because i find it most effective for defence.

But in saying that im not to sure what style or person was the first to use this kind of guard.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: