Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sohan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Karate-Do, Muay Thai, Shudokan Karate-Do, Boxing, BJJ, Hung Gar Gung Fu

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aodhan wrote:
Sohan wrote:
Chaz wrote:
In my school there is no testing, only promotion. This seems outrageous to me, your instructors show know your abiliyt and recognize it over time, not in a 2 hour session. Just my opinion.

In our school, testing is more of a demonstration of your MA technique and overall fitness. It publicly demonstrates your worthiness of the new rank to others. Nobody has ever failed a belt test in our school because you don't test unless you are absolutely ready. I like it this way.

With respect,

Sohan

Then what is the point of the testing? I've seen people that were rock solid on everything, get to the test and fall apart. What happens at your dojo in that case?

Aodhan

We feel one proves themselves in the many hours spent in the dojo. Our promotions do not come easily, and we lose new students frequently to McDojos who provide gimme promotions every few months. Perhaps we could simply present belts in a ceremony to those who earn them (field promotions do occur in class in special instances of outstanding performance), but the test offers an public opportunity to display one's skills--and display they must.

Sure, I have seen people who have struggled somewhat in their belt tests (which are quite challenging and can last up to 6+ hours), but I personally have never seen anyone who was rock solid in class who fell apart on the test. One certainly could potentially fail our promotion test, but I guess we're just very picky about who gets the opportunity.

With respect,

Sohan

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

marie curie
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan Karate, Kajukenbo, Kodokan Judo, Gracie Barra Jiu-Jitsu, Olympic Tae Kwon Doe

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sohan wrote:
Aodhan wrote:
Sohan wrote:
Chaz wrote:
In my school there is no testing, only promotion. This seems outrageous to me, your instructors show know your abiliyt and recognize it over time, not in a 2 hour session. Just my opinion.

In our school, testing is more of a demonstration of your MA technique and overall fitness. It publicly demonstrates your worthiness of the new rank to others. Nobody has ever failed a belt test in our school because you don't test unless you are absolutely ready. I like it this way.

With respect,

Sohan

Then what is the point of the testing? I've seen people that were rock solid on everything, get to the test and fall apart. What happens at your dojo in that case?

Aodhan

We feel one proves themselves in the many hours spent in the dojo. Our promotions do not come easily, and we lose new students frequently to McDojos who provide gimme promotions every few months. Perhaps we could simply present belts in a ceremony to those who earn them (field promotions do occur in class in special instances of outstanding performance), but the test offers an public opportunity to display one's skills--and display they must.

Sure, I have seen people who have struggled somewhat in their belt tests (which are quite challenging and can last up to 6+ hours), but I personally have never seen anyone who was rock solid in class who fell apart on the test. One certainly could potentially fail our promotion test, but I guess we're just very picky about who gets the opportunity.

With respect,

Sohan

Good post- this is how my schools have been, too. Well... the ones that I have stayed at anyway. My old school, like my new one for higher ranks, required a panel of instuctors from other schools to grade you. We were not sent to a test unprepared, but it was vital that someone other than the people that we trained with (someone neutral) verified our skills. I had one test early on- I was testing for my blue belt and I was about 12 years old- that I was quite shaky on. I knew the stuff solid, but I was way nervous. My Sensei went to the panel and told them that I knew the kata that I had done poorly, but that I was nervous for my first big belt test (blue came after yellow). Two of the guys pulled me aside later and asked me to do the kata again, and -releived that I had another chance- I did it wonderfully, and was promoted-even complimented by the judes.

The point is, that I did everything else well, and had my Sensei's word. While having gotten lost in one kata (the first event), the testing panel was able to see what I could do and promoted me accordingly.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
-Lao Tzu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Sohan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Karate-Do, Muay Thai, Shudokan Karate-Do, Boxing, BJJ, Hung Gar Gung Fu

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also use a panel for grading with representatives from other schools. This is an excellent way to foster good will among schools and keep perspective on the true martial arts spirit. It is considered an honor to serve as an examiner and is not taken lightly.

With respect,

Sohan

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: