Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I disagree with the possibility of wrestling being no longer an Olympic event for all to enjoy, even though, I do see the IOC trying to change the content of its brand which is what every business needs to do, and that is...change to stay with or ahead of its competition. I mean, the Olympics is big business in the tune of Millions, if not Billions!!

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say, wrestling was one of the original Olympic Sports. To leaver it out would be a travesty. Almost all the world's cultures have a wrestling system, it's one of the world's first and ancient martial arts.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy a good judo match!! There's nothing like seeing the chess game of judo unfold before ones eyes. I don't think IOC will throw judo out because it's a staple of the summer Olympics.

Will TV ratings suffer if the Olympics aren't there?

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who've been around, this will be surprising coming from me given how little of a traditionalist I am...but I really think that wrestling should always be in, no matter what. It one of the few events that trace back, in any form to the ancient Greek games. Put it on at 3 in the morning if you need to, but it should always have a place due to that fact. I know, very traditional.

As to karate, I think the point is very valid that the public at large will have a hard time telling the difference between that and TKD.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come the Olympics have so many weird sports (water polo? ping pong? badminton? Like, 4 different kinds of cycling competitions?) but karate is always denied Olympic status?

I plain dislike the Olympic committee, there must be so much politics into their decisions. "Hey guys, let's remove one of the original Olympic sports (wrestling) but keep badminton and all 4 (5?6?) variants of cycling!"

Karate is different enough from TKD to warrant its inclusion... Olympic TKD has sort of become a "tag with the feet" exercise, while karate would focus on solid kicks, and using hand strikes too. Karate sparring would have more contact and people would not simply bounce around without covering their heads because they can't be punched in the face.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RW wrote:
How come the Olympics have so many weird sports (water polo? ping pong? badminton? Like, 4 different kinds of cycling competitions?) but karate is always denied Olympic status?

I plain dislike the Olympic committee, there must be so much politics into their decisions. "Hey guys, let's remove one of the original Olympic sports (wrestling) but keep badminton and all 4 (5?6?) variants of cycling!"

Karate is different enough from TKD to warrant its inclusion... Olympic TKD has sort of become a "tag with the feet" exercise, while karate would focus on solid kicks, and using hand strikes too. Karate sparring would have more contact and people would not simply bounce around without covering their heads because they can't be punched in the face.

But how different does that look to everyone else? To those involved, sure. But the rest of the public? I'm not certain that the masses would even notice that the coverage had changed.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm for Wrestling being in every year, as well. I don't enjoy the political jockeying that takes place in the IOC.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I'm for Wrestling being in every year, as well. I don't enjoy the political jockeying that takes place in the IOC.

Ditto!! The sport shouldn't suffer, and the competitors shouldn't either.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the IOC controls what's shown on the TV. I believe that the network decides what they'll televise, but I'm also sure that the IOC might have some saying because the Olympics i s a big ticket thing for both.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I don't think that the IOC controls what's shown on the TV. I believe that the network decides what they'll televise, but I'm also sure that the IOC might have some saying because the Olympics i s a big ticket thing for both.

They don't control what gets shown at all. The Olympic Broadcasting Service films it all and it's up to the networks to pick what they want to broadcast and then to put their commentary and graphics on top. During London the BBC were pretty amazing and we had access to every single sport... could watch whatever you wanted.

I suppose this might be a bit controversial on here... but why is wrestling being in the olympics such a big deal? I know that it was part of the Ancient Greek Olympics but so was chariot racing and running in full or partial armour (the hoplitodromos).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: