Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Acceptable training in Karate or TKD with 1% kicking? Reply with quote

This is what we did yesterday: knife hand block (moving forward). Wedging block (moving forward). Twin forearm block (moving forward). Side punch. High block (moving forward). Low block (moving forward). The only kick was a warm-up (rising kick).

Blocks, blocks, blocks, and more blocks. And punches. And this is a constant pattern in our training.

Would you ask for a refund if this was your TKD or Karate place?

The fact that it's Taekwondo makes it even worse to me.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone’s got their priorities. I’m not the best kicker out there, so it wouldn’t bother me much. And truthfully I wouldn’t kick much in an actual SD situation. But then again there’s really only one way for me to get better at it.

I’ve been in what I thought was a poorly run class once or twice in my MA time. But they weren’t ever run by the CI nor the regular assistant instructor. I remember thinking “if I paid by the class, I’d want my money back” but it was said (thought actually) in haste in the heat of the moment.

Every single class can’t run exactly as you want it run or think it should be run. I wouldn’t be upset about one class or even a class every now and then not having any kicks, even if I was there primarily for kicking. There’s more to an MA than kicking, even TKD. I’d look at it as a time to improve other things that could use work. Everything can use more work. A class without sparring is a rarity for us. It’s also my favorite aspect of my training, as I feel everything is done for that purpose in one way or another. That doesn’t mean I’m going to get angry or resentful if we don’t spar every class. Not even close.

If sparring became less and less often, where I was feeling that it was becoming less of an overall priority, I’d start asking myself what’s going on. If it really bothered me that much, I’d respectfully ask my instructors why. If the trend continued to the point where my heart wasn’t into training anymore and I didn’t see the situation changing or getting worse, I’d make other plans, as what’s going on isn’t what I signed up for anymore.

I wouldn’t base any decisions on a once or twice occurrence. If I trusted my teacher and his teaching, it wouldn’t bother me. If I had serious doubts about his teaching and what I was there for consistently became less and less, that would be another thing.

Look at the overall training; the big picture. Don’t pass judgement on the big picture based on one or two classes.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Everyone’s got their priorities. I’m not the best kicker out there, so it wouldn’t bother me much. And truthfully I wouldn’t kick much in an actual SD situation. But then again there’s really only one way for me to get better at it.

I’ve been in what I thought was a poorly run class once or twice in my MA time. But they weren’t ever run by the CI nor the regular assistant instructor. I remember thinking “if I paid by the class, I’d want my money back” but it was said (thought actually) in haste in the heat of the moment.

Every single class can’t run exactly as you want it run or think it should be run. I wouldn’t be upset about one class or even a class every now and then not having any kicks, even if I was there primarily for kicking. There’s more to an MA than kicking, even TKD. I’d look at it as a time to improve other things that could use work. Everything can use more work. A class without sparring is a rarity for us. It’s also my favorite aspect of my training, as I feel everything is done for that purpose in one way or another. That doesn’t mean I’m going to get angry or resentful if we don’t spar every class. Not even close.

If sparring became less and less often, where I was feeling that it was becoming less of an overall priority, I’d start asking myself what’s going on. If it really bothered me that much, I’d respectfully ask my instructors why. If the trend continued to the point where my heart wasn’t into training anymore and I didn’t see the situation changing or getting worse, I’d make other plans, as what’s going on isn’t what I signed up for anymore.

I wouldn’t base any decisions on a once or twice occurrence. If I trusted my teacher and his teaching, it wouldn’t bother me. If I had serious doubts about his teaching and what I was there for consistently became less and less, that would be another thing.

Look at the overall training; the big picture. Don’t pass judgement on the big picture based on one or two classes.

This isn't once or twice. He goes through all hand techniques and completely neglects the kicks.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like your class, then you don't like your class.

I have a different perspective when it comes to classes that don't go the way I like. We have entire class periods devoted to forms from time to time. Nothing but forms (imagine this as a yellow belt when you only know 2 forms...) Other times, it's only mat-work/self defense/napa.

Tae Kwon Do Tenets:

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control

Indomitable Spirit

To me, the bolded tenets have an implication that patience is to be learned/required through training.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Last edited by singularity6 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
If you don't like your class, then you don't like your class.

I have a different perspective when it comes to classes that don't go the way I like. We have entire class periods devoted to forms from time to time. Nothing but forms (imagine this as a yellow belt when you only know 2 forms...) Other times, it's only mat-work/self defense/napa.

Tae Kwon Do Tenets:

Courtesy
Integrity
[b]Perseverance
Self Control[\b]
Indomitable Spirit

To me, the bolded tenets have an implication that patience is to be learned/required through training.

I want to switch club but there are no other ITF clubs nearby. I feel this is a complete rip-off. Judging by the classes online, this is not normal prioritization.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Acceptable training in Karate or TKD with 1% kicking? Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
This is what we did yesterday: knife hand block (moving forward). Wedging block (moving forward). Twin forearm block (moving forward). Side punch. High block (moving forward). Low block (moving forward). The only kick was a warm-up (rising kick).

Blocks, blocks, blocks, and more blocks. And punches. And this is a constant pattern in our training.

Sounds like you were learning fundamental movements for Dan Gun / Won Hyo...

Typical ITF class to me. It's not all about kicking and to be honest the curriculum has minimal kicks until 1st kup. Less than 10% of the moves in the patterns are kicks until you get higher up and even then you're not going to focus on them every session. If you want more kicks you might have to think about changing style as it's not going to be much different at any other ITF club.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Acceptable training in Karate or TKD with 1% kicking? Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Prototype wrote:

Sounds like you were learning fundamental movements for Dan Gun / Won Hyo...

Typical ITF class to me. It's not all about kicking and to be honest the curriculum has minimal kicks until 1st kup. Less than 10% of the moves in the patterns are kicks until you get higher up and even then you're not going to focus on them every session. If you want more kicks you might have to think about changing style as it's not going to be much different at any other ITF club.

I'm a red belt, and classes are mixed. Everybody trains together, including 5 dans. It's like this almost every day. It's a breath or fresh air if we throw even as much as a side kick in "basics". That is almost as rare as a supernova though.

Last edited by Prototype on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Acceptable training in Karate or TKD with 1% kicking? Reply with quote

[quote="DWx"]
wrote:

Typical ITF class to me. It's not all about kicking .

If you look at ITF free sparring rules, kicks are worth more than punches. It makes no sense to be training 95% hand techniques and then expect students to excel at kicking in sparring, in which kicking is encouraged.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Acceptable training in Karate or TKD with 1% kicking? Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:

I'm not sure about TKD because I have never studied it however I come from an art that don't use a whole lot of kicks so it wouldn't bother me at all. Blocks... well that's for another discussion.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Acceptable training in Karate or TKD with 1% kicking? Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:

Nope!! I wouldn't ask for my money back!! Why??

With everything, there's a season for one thing or another. Today, all blocks...tomorrow, all kicks...down the road...all punches...whenever I feel like it, I'll teach something else.

After all, I'm the CI, not the student!! The student came to me, I didn't come to the student!! The curriculum is a guide that's not etched in stone; no matter which road one travels one, doesn't matter, just as long as the student reaches their destination.

Let the CI be the CI; trust him/her to guide you on the path he's chosen for YOU!! Patience...patience; things come to those who wait, but things do come in their own time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: