Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Anderson Silva Reply with quote

Anderson Silva's latest actions speak negative about him and casts a negative light onto MMA, particularly the UFC. Silva remains uneffected by his disrespectful actions, and imho, Silva needs to be more respectful towards the MMA sport, other MMA fighters, Dana White/UFC, MMA fans, and the martial arts. Martial arts teach the tenents: Seek perfection of character, be faithful, endeavor, respect others, and refrain from violent behavior. It's these tenets that seem to be void from Silva, and in that, his misapplied actions are taking a lot away from any positive thing that he's done in the octagon, especially his fighting skills.

Check this out...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-ufcsilva041010

Toptomcat
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Japanese and Korean karate systems, judo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Shrug*
There's a very simple way to keep Silva from clowning in the ring, and that's to put him in with someone who has business being there with him. It's not an easy fix, necessarily, but it is a simple one.

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto.

Professional in the ring or kid on the play ground, there is only one way to shut someones trap. I agree that I don't want to see the UFC turn into WWE but you can"t mandate respect.

quinteros1963
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Martial Arts (Goju Ryu & Shotokan)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why people talk about Silva. He is a fighter, why would he engage a BJJ guy (5X world champ) on the ground? You take away your opponents best weapon, which he did. So he toyed with the guy, so he stayed away from him when he had the fight in the bag. Was it fun to watch? No not at all but he did what he needed to do to win. The bottom line is that he is the best fighter in the UFC, and for some reason many can't stand the guy. BTW those were not his latest actions. In his last fight vs Sonnen you will see him kneel and bow to his last opponent (nothing but respect). I am honestly starting to think that some hate the guy because as of late he has been somewhat untouchable. I think he is great and will continue to support him.
The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

tonydee
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: 24 yrs kong soo do, 3 yrs hapkido, bits of others

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally follow UFC (or any martial sports), but your post got me curious. I watched the fight without sound, so whatever verbal comments were being made are not factored into my impression. From my perspective, it was an interesting fight. It did make the jujitsu fighter look silly - in combination with previous BJJ wins it shows very clearly that neither standup nor ground fighting is a sure-fire way to win, and the better fighter will work out a way to apply his techniques and protect himself.

I was also interested to see that after Silva made a big display of challenging Maia to go toe to toe, he wasn't so lost in his bravado, or sincere in his mischeivous challenge, that he felt the need to stay there when Maia did eventually get up the gumption to try to close. I expected him to stick it out and start doing some serious damage, but instead he let it play out in points. And was that purely teasing and contempt, or was it also a reasonable sports tactic, in that going toe-to-toe may have given Maia some takedown opportunities? That's the difference between sport and fighting... if someone can dance around and let the clock expire without even fighting properly, as a tactic to win, then while it may be unsporting it's - IMHO - a reflection of the limitations of the rules and sport as much as the participants. Taekwondo has similar problems getting fighters to engage in a meaningful way. Martial arts sets a higher challenge - perfection - and while someone may act as Silva did to illustrate larger issues for the opponents long-term benefit, only someone insincere in their training would think that a "points" win is any kind of win for a martial artist. Anyway, I hope Maia takes on the challenge of improving his skills so he can make a better fight of it next time - quite a reality check for him I'd imagine.

Cheers,
Tony

quinteros1963
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Martial Arts (Goju Ryu & Shotokan)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering what your thoughts were on Anderson's last to fights? I still don't see where or when he has been disrespectful. His last two outings have shown that he is a great mixed martial artist. Some of his actions are purely promotional in nature.
The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quinteros1963 wrote:
Wondering what your thoughts were on Anderson's last to fights? I still don't see where or when he has been disrespectful. His last two outings have shown that he is a great mixed martial artist. Some of his actions are purely promotional in nature.

Yeah, that's his problem, imho. Showboating has it's place, but not in a martial arts venue. Shouldn't we respect our opponent whether one wins or losses? Yes, imho!! Forget for a moment that it's in a martial arts venue; it's still an act of unsportsmanship, imho!!

Last edited by sensei8 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, television must appeal to the lowest common denominator. To keep people paying, someone has to behave badly. If the Ultimate Fighter program focused on training and fights, it would be a fun show. Instead the focus is on grown men acting like spoiled juveniles, oh and there's a fight at the end. I believe half of the idiocy is put on because Dana White understands his target demographic is the unwashed masses, not a select few cultured martial art enthusiasts.

In the words of a great philosopher of my time, Dave Mustain, "Peace sells but who's buyin?"

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. I believe the Greeks even knew this when they had fights in the Collusieum. Pit fighters also learned to entertain a bit when they fought, and fights were often unbalanced to make them interesting.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
That's true. I believe the Greeks even knew this when they had fights in the Collusieum. Pit fighters also learned to entertain a bit when they fought, and fights were often unbalanced to make them interesting.

I think you mean the Romans, but they did take much of their culture from the Greeks.

They invented the pro wrestling gimmicks. The guys with the net and trident were supposed to be Atlantans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: