Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Johnlogic121
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Montgomery Style Karate, Ninjutsu, Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Best Self-Defense Techniques Reply with quote

In the style of Karate I study, we focus on combat techniques that are generally illegal to apply in normal self-defense scenarios. For example, one of our basic moves is a shikanken, or extended knuckle fist, executed to the throat. A firm punch with this hand formation to the throat seals the windpipe shut and it can be lethal. Legally, the ordinary person could only apply this technique if the attacker was using 90% full force, since you can normally only use 10% more force that your attacker. My question for the forum is this: What are some of the best moves for self-defense? I am not talking about combat techniques, like a full power frontal groin kick followed by a vicous eye gouge. What techniques are good for stopping power only, and not for killing power? What kinds of methods do you use when you don't want to go to jail or prison for permanantly incapacitating someone? Any thoughts?

mmljpp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joint locks are very nice for that
God Bless

ying&yang
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD , and 15 others

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there are many more but you have the general idea. And in a defence situation you should use these. Because i would lol

Throwdown0850
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Judo, BJJ, Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move in for the throw.. cement or hard ground has plenty of stopping power.. or a kick in the knee cap, although that may get someone in trouble in court if they broke it?? but then again it was only one strike? hmm..

TraditionalDan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-do, RBSD.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good one born of much experience, is a hooking punch to the jaw, knocking an opponent out. It's qood to go for the sweet spot to rock that brain, but it needs to be a good punch. Bone on bone offers a fair bit more 'shock' to the skull than a glove.

Throwdown0850
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Judo, BJJ, Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TraditionalDan wrote:
A good one born of much experience, is a hooking punch to the jaw, knocking an opponent out. It's qood to go for the sweet spot to rock that brain, but it needs to be a good punch. Bone on bone offers a fair bit more 'shock' to the skull than a glove.

that just sounds painful!

KarateEd
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the "best self defense techniques" vary from person to person based on one's training background and one's strengths and weaknesses. As far as avoiding jail I think that intent is more important than the technique you use. For example, if you did kick someone in the kneecap and shattered their knee, but ended all attacks after your assailant was neutralized, then you are much less likely to end up in jail than a person who neutralized an attack AND then continued to beat the assailant. In the former situation, if charges were even brought, a good defense lawyer should get you out of trouble. In the latter scenario it might be a bit harder to avoid litigation.

Ed

NewEnglands_KyoSa
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do , Chinese Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for not killing or maming?
locking, throwing, sweeping, wrist locks are good especially for control. or something that would cause a short knock-out. like a corotid artery strike, but if youre not careful brain damage may be sure to follow. but my rule is, try to hurt me, i have no fear of laying a hurtin on you.

TraditionalDan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-do, RBSD.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that just sounds painful!

Hopefully it will be painful too!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TraditionalDan wrote:

Thats probably very effective. I know its not the same but a lot of TKD style sparring KOs tend to occur when the opponent is hit upwards into their jaw. It doesn't take much if you hit the right spot and say if you did it in self defense all it would take is one technique to KO them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: