Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Ben
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hap Ki Do

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of children these days arent even mature enough to wear a belt for their jeans, let alone have the ability of a blackbelt - let alone the attitude. however there are some really nice, kind, sweet young people out there that shouldnt be taught life only works if you're nasty.

So to answer the question - anyone can have the skill at any age, even though they might not have power. what should make a blackbelt what they are isnt just about the fighting - but the attitude.

if you were in the presence of a 12 year old monk, he'd probably be more wise than most people finishing their course at college/school.

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Hanshi will not promote anyone to the rank of shodan under the age of 18.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Carson
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 12 years old and i have my first degree black belt. At our school we have a system in which you get your full black belt if your 16 eyars old or over. But, If you are under the age of 16 you can still get your black belt. the only difference is that the belt has a white stripe through the middle. All of the students at our scholl who want to become black belts have to pass our 2 day test. if you can pas that im sure it doesnt matter what age you are.

"I will train untill I succed, I will train untill I succed, I will train, I will succed!!

Practise is the Key
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuss me, you are both wrong Budo mean martial ways

Zen-the form of buddhism

Excuss me am not meaning to show off but i know every single words in karate.

Sauzin
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Kenpo, Goju-Ryu, Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No disrespect to those who have obtained blackbelts as children in styles that allow such ranking, but that doesn't fit with the style, manner of teaching, and the definition of rankings in the system which I practice. Black belts undergo sparring, advanced weapon training, and have techniques applied very harshly for conditioning and learning. This is to the point of common minor injuries. Where the same treatment given to a child, what would manifest itself as a minor injury to an adult would become a major injury to a child. They just can't take the same blows, throws, and abuse. Even if they could, I would hate for a school teacher to have to inquire to his parents as to why he is receiving bruises so often. A child in our system could not be treated the same as an adult blackbelt for these reasons. This is why they remain a color belt, as a manner of differentiating the level of intensity that they can be involved in.

The point of what is taught to a child is important as well. This is more of a by ear thing though as every kids maturity level is different, so you must know who you are talking to. Say or show the wrong thing to the wrong kid and someone could end up dead.

For these and further legal reasons, 18 would be the limit I personally would place. If a child were training since he was 5 and was exceptionally skilled I could imagine making an exception at 16. Maybe.

-Paul Holsinger

kempocos
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RYUKYU KEMPO,MODERN ARNIS, ISSHINRYU,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAMA_chick - It has nothing to do with " getting over not a getting it as a chld"

CARSON - " BLACK BELT WITH WHITE STRIPE "

Both would be considered junior BLACK BELTS where I train. You would have the white stripe. Then when you turn 14-15 depending on the person you start in the adult class as a white belt ( white stripe ) learning the adult program. This would include testing for each KYU and the stripe color will change with each test. You then will test for the BLACK BELT when you are ready .

It has to do with the fact that most DOJO'S tech very differant things to CHILDREN then they teach to ADULTS. Under the age of 18 you have not been invovled with the ADULT training long enough to pass the requirments to get the BLACK BELT. The KATA BUNKAI complete with chokes, neck/limb breaks, joint locks should not be taught to children. The concepts behind Vital Point Striking should not be taught to children.
The sparring needs to be on par with ALL senior students in the class with the contact a level for an adult , and as a child even of 13-15 you would not be ready. Go to an adult advanced class and watch the sparring and ask yourself if you could handle trading blows with all the people there including the instructors.

In all honesty if you are under 14 in a class with adults, I would question the level of training the school is providing to the adults. I mean no offense this just my opinion.

kataman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: black belt kids Reply with quote

kempocos: I must say that I agree with you totally and I belive that the only people that would disagree are the one that sees karate as a sport instead of martial art.They see only what going on in tournement and forget the real meening of martial art which is a way of surviving on the street.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree. Anyone who thinks it is appropriate to welcome a child into the dan rankings obviously doesn't think that anything they're doing as a black belt is dangerous for children. That leads to the conclusion that the MA that these 'black belts' practice is nothing more than childsplay, probably intended to look pretty and dazzle laypersons with their wood breaking and spinning high kick displays.

BTW: When I say the MA that is practiced is child's play, I mean how the individual practices, not the particular martial art.

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tote wrote:
18 or when they are strong and conditioned enough to hang with the other adult Black Belts in full contact sparing.

I work out at a college club with a bunch of testosterone driven 18 year old males.

I guess all those 50 year old women are SOL, too.

Fighting ability is important, but it does not make a black belt.

Goju1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: IOGKF Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smr wrote:
I also agree. Anyone who thinks it is appropriate to welcome a child into the dan rankings obviously doesn't think that anything they're doing as a black belt is dangerous for children. That leads to the conclusion that the MA that these 'black belts' practice is nothing more than childsplay, probably intended to look pretty and dazzle laypersons with their wood breaking and spinning high kick displays.

BTW: When I say the MA that is practiced is child's play, I mean how the individual practices, not the particular martial art.

Ditto, ditto, and ditto! The conditioning kicks and arm strikes alone would seiously injure most kids (under 1 not to mention the other 'nasty stuff' that is involved in - dare i say - "real karate" ? And it would be totally innappropriate for a 14 year old i.e. to learn techniques that could inflict death upon another person. IMHO
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: