Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

The_Albino_Monk
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are all missing one thing: maturity. I am 14 and having been training in Shaoling kempo for 8 years. About a year and a half ago; I got my 1st degree black belt and have been working as an assistant instructor for a few months. I agree that some people are not mature enough to become black belts during their their teenage years, but some are.
Some of you seem to define anybody under 16-18 as being weak. That is not the case. I am fairly strong for my age and do not mind taking a punch. I actually enjoy it.
I reallize that where I am at in my training is a step above tthe rest of the people at my dojo, and I don't take my training lightly.
8 years of training and I wouldn't know what "real Karate" is? Again, its maturity and not age that matters completely.
I do reallize what you all are saying. "young people are not mature enough to be a blackbelt" That is true of a lot of people. However, not all of today's youth is going downhill.

kempocos
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RYUKYU KEMPO,MODERN ARNIS, ISSHINRYU,

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More to the point is for the last 8 years you have been in a childrens program. The adult program should be much diifferant. If not the adults in your school are not getting the proper training. IMHO

angel
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In turkey people without a dan can have a black belt. But they are not allowed to teach. They are only sempai. And you cant get a dan if you aren't 18 years of age. I think it is a great system.
Karate is for Self Defense not Offense

Goju1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: IOGKF Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Albino_Monk wrote:
I think you are all missing one thing: maturity. I am 14 and having been training in Shaoling kempo for 8 years. About a year and a half ago; I got my 1st degree black belt and have been working as an assistant instructor for a few months. I agree that some people are not mature enough to become black belts during their their teenage years, but some are.
Some of you seem to define anybody under 16-18 as being weak. That is not the case. I am fairly strong for my age and do not mind taking a punch. I actually enjoy it.
I reallize that where I am at in my training is a step above tthe rest of the people at my dojo, and I don't take my training lightly.
8 years of training and I wouldn't know what "real Karate" is? Again, its maturity and not age that matters completely.
I do reallize what you all are saying. "young people are not mature enough to be a blackbelt" That is true of a lot of people. However, not all of today's youth is going downhill.

I understand what you're saying, but even if you are exceptionally mature with 8 years of training, you surely won't be at the level of an adult BB, or shouldn't, as Kempocos states so well. Kudos to you, though for studying so long and hard, and wanting to teach !

However, consider the physical limitations of your age. Your bones are not yet done growing, tendons aren't attached, etc,etc... I am a personal trainer and work with a lot of young athletes and have seen first hand the difference between a 14 yr old body and an 18 yr old. A good hard shot to the chest/shoulder/knee could cause you permanent and serious damage, where it would mainly just cause pain to an adult

The rigors of serious adult MA training are (or should be) beyond the cababilites of a 14 yr old. IMHO
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: