Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both work equally as well. Closed hand works good at stiking you opponents arm as you block. Open hand blocks do the same except allow better hand positioning to grab his arm.

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the closed fist block you are blocking with your forearm. The closed fist keeps tension in the forearm muscle. With an open hand block you generally are using the hand itself. The forearm is stronger than the hand yet is is slower.

Morgray
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best form of "blocking" are open hand blocks but when you start blocking kicks it's better with closed fist because you can got a broken finger.
The reason for an open handed block? Easy:
1) You don't block but parry the opponent' strikes.
2) Closed fist blocks doesn't work in reality... Have you seen a bare knuckle full-contact bout?

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with SaiFight and others who suggest that beginners should perhaps use closed hands to protect the fingers and learn the open-handed blocks a bit later on. Speaking as someone who fractured, dislocated and maimed a finger trying to block with fist not properly closed when I was a beginner I'd definitely not recommend the experience!

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always teach new students closed hand blocks so they will not hurt their fingers. However as they slowly go up in rank I begin to open their hands and teach them how to grab the attackers leg or arm and work throws and takedowns.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think the best form of "blocking" are open hand blocks but when you start blocking kicks it's better with closed fist because you can got a broken finger.
The reason for an open handed block? Easy:
1) You don't block but parry the opponent' strikes.
2) Closed fist blocks doesn't work in reality... Have you seen a bare knuckle full-contact bout?

1) You can deflect just as well with closed fist, you just don't have to.
2) Nope, haven't seen a bare knuckle full-contact bout. I've seen a few street fights though, a couple of them involving fellow students, and closed hand blocks seemed to work fine for them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the blocks I do towards kicks are open handed perry blocks. I try not to do bone on bone blocks against kicks.

Pete

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all good- thanks guys.

As far as bone on bone blocks, I was taught the close fist, palm in middle block as using the more "padded" side of the arm to block. Palm open, face out, its more bone on bone...
(if you block with the arm, rather than the actual palm).

The only full contact, bare knuckle fight I've seen (apart from kids in schoolyard scuffles) was two men in a streetfight (literally... fighting on the asphalt just outside my house)
Little technique was involved. Both guys waded in, faces red, throwing a barrage of punches, then after a few seconds one guy goes down, and the other guy proceeds to kick the crud out of him until he's 'done'. This was around 20 years ago now, when I was living in what we call a "public housing estate". (council house, government yard, housing commission, government subsidized housing, whatever you want to call it)

What is the precise difference between a block and a parry? I would think that most unarmed blocks incorporate an element of both, in that the blow is generally deflected away from the body, not just stopped. Am I right in assuming "parry" means to deflect a blow away, not just stop it (a block)? In that case most moves would be parries as it would be unlikely to "block" a strike the same way you could "block" a sword slash, stopping it directly rather than deflecting...
A thrust, like a straight punch, would have to be parried, rather than blocked...
(Or is my definition wrong)

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of our bone on bone blocks are taught with the flat of the arm, so that the impact is spread across both bones rather than one. Makes it less painful when you're trying to block kicks.

Parries are deflections or redirections of the force of punches. Technically blocks are physically stopping the punch but all of ours are parries anyway, the distinction blurs most of the time between the two.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Blade13
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to do open handed blocks so I can do some trapping if the opportunity arises.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: